WKU boasts one of the largest campus data networks in the state of Kentucky. The network serves as the foundation for almost all other IT services and the University’s reliance on this network is continually growing. WKU-IT takes great pride in maintaining a reliable high-speed network and has been very successful in that endeavor. The WKU network is monitored 24x7x365 with staff on-call to immediately address any critical faults.
Many computing problems may be perceived as being a “network problem”. While the network as a whole operates continually, that is not to say that there aren’t localized problems that can occur to affect your service. If you feel you are having a problem please report it to the WKU-IT Helpdesk. There are a number of possible causes to computing problems and the IT staff will help you diagnose and ultimately resolve those issues.
WKU’s IT staff are here to help make your technology experience at WKU as smooth as possible and to let you use that technology as a tool in your educational endeavors.
Network Statistics (circa May 1st, 2011)
- There are over 700 Ethernet switches in service providing over 50,000 data ports.
- There are eight core routers serving main campus, each of these devices are about the size of a large mini-refrigerator.
- WKU’s Internet Connections have grown considerably over the years. Our current peak traffic loads are over 800Mbps.
- There are over 1700 miles of Category 5e and Category 6 cabling used throughout the University buildings.
- Over 550 miles of fiber optic strands exist to interconnect the campus buildings.
- There are over 1300 wireless access points deployed in and around all University buildings.
For Fall 2013, the IT Division implemented a new online service request system allowing you to report problems and seek assistance online.
The 2013-2014 academic year's free lab print allocation is available to use beginning August 12.
|8/5||11:00am||Managing Dates in Blackboard|
|8/5||11:30am||Inline Grading of Blackboard Assignments|
|8/6||10:00am||Microsoft Excel 2010 - Basics|
If you have feedback about the IT website, please use our Website Feedback Form.