Blackboard Organizations, Frequently Asked Questions
What is an organization site?
Organization sites on Blackboard are intended to provide the functionality of course sites to groups that do not fit the definition of a course. This includes, but is not limited to, official campus organizations, student organizations, departments, and committees.
What can you do with an organization site?
Organizations have the ability to carry our the same functions as course sites. This includes posting announcements, sharing content, discussion boards, conducting tests and surveys and sending e-mail.
Who can request an organization site?
Organization sites must be requested by a WKU faculty or staff member.
How long does it take for an organization site to be created?
Because organization sites must be created manually by Academic Technology staff, the process may take up to 2 or 3 days. You will be notified via email once your organization site is active.
Who can be a member of an organization site?
WKU faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students, who have a valid email account, may be added to an organization. Individuals without a valid WKU email account may have a guest account requested for them by going here. Guest accounts should be requested by the organization site leader.
Is training required to have an organization site?
Faculty/staff organization leaders completing the request form will be required to complete an online training workshop on Blackboard in order to become familiar with the Blackboard organization tools and basic Blackboard functionality. The same training is recommended for any individual who has the role of Leader or Assistant within a Blackboard organization.
What roles are available within an organization site?
- Leader – Has full access to the organization Control Panel. Is listed in the organization Catalog as a Leader. Can also manage (add, change, delete) membership of the organization.
- Assistant – Has full access to the organization Control Panel. Is not listed in the Organization Catalog as a Leader. Can also manage (add, change, delete) membership of the organization.
- Organization Builder – Can access everything on the Control Panel except Course Reports and the Grade Center. Cannot manage membership of the organization.
- Grader – Has limited access to the Control Panel. Can post announcements and access everything in the Grade Center section. Cannot manage membership of the organization. Can participate in Discussions, but not manage them.
- Participant – Has no Control Panel access. Can access all areas of the Organization from the Participant view.
How do I delete an organization site?
If you would like to delete an organization site, you may contact the IT Helpdesk at 745-7000 in order to put in the request. You may also complete an online help request. You will be notified via email once your organization site has been deleted.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,