Staff member attends medical records law conference
|Author: Terri F.|
Date: Monday, February 27th, 2012
|Return to Archive|
Kathy Trulock, coordinator of patient services/medical records attended the Medical Records Law conference in Bowling Green, KY.
- Victoria E. Boggs –Attorney with Weber & Rose P.S.C.
- Robert Drane – Attorney with Riley & Associates, PLLC
- Kayle J. Miller, RN, CN-III, CAPA, LNC – Owner/Operator of North Star Legal Nurse Consulting
Important topics reviewed and discussed were the major aspects of HIPAA including the: Privacy Rule, Security Rule, and HITECH. During the conference attendees:
- Reviewed a few legal cases were PHI had been mishandled by companies and the fines and penalties that these companies incurred as a result.
- Discussed individuals who had one law suits based on the privacy of their information being violated.
- Discussed the importance of documentation in medical records and the patient’s responsibility in providing us with complete and accurate medical histories.
Kathy thoroughly enjoyed the conference and looks forward to sharing what she learned with the WKU Health Services staff. She will also be reviewing WKUHS current policies and procedures as they relate to the Medical Records Law.
May 27th - May 31st
Parking and Transit Service May 13 to May 31
Map and Tentative Schedule
New Yellow Line
New Purple Line Transit Service
Big discounts offered to Students, Faculty, and Staff. Visit www.InShuttle.com/wku to make your reservations! Click the headline above for more information.