- Take the DAT preferably in the late spring or early summer of the year prior to your matriculation (April-July 2011 for fall 2012). You will be given your score on the DAT before leaving the Prometric Testing Center. Official scores will be sent to the schools you indicated on the Dental Admission Test application form in around 3 weeks. Talk to your advisor about your scores, you may want to retake the test. However, you must wait 90 days before scheduling a retake.
- Apply Early- AADSAS becomes available around May 1 and they accept applications any time after May 15 (15 months prior to starting school), although files may not be reviewed by admissions committees until DAT scores are received. You should get your application in by late June. By the end of July, the Kentucky schools have already received a couple of hundred applications. Don't wait till the application deadline!! By December a large proportion of the first year class is full.
- AADSAS Centralized Application Service- The AADSAS application is available on-line. AADSAS reproduces the information and sends it to the schools you indicate. 56 of the 59 Dental schools utilize AADSAS, including U-K and U of L, the University of Tennessee does not participate. Applicants to UT must get the application directly from the school. For 2010, the charge is $227 for the first school and $72 for each additional school.
- Have transcripts sent to AADSAS from each school that you have attended. Transcript verification was new in 2006, so be absolutely certain your transcript(s) arrives early. WKU has an online request form at http://www.wku.edu/registrar/transcript_request.php
- Application includes a personal statement (essay). Don't procrastinate writing your personal statement. Have peers and faculty proofread and criticize.
- After receipt of materials form AADSAS, each dental school will notify the applicant directly for the need of any supplemental application materials ("secondaries"). Return the secondaries promptly, this shows motivation and genuine interest in that school.
- Print and complete your Application for Committee Evaluation and give copies to your evaluation committee members.
- Schedule appointments with your pre-dent evaluation committee (your advisor and 2 other faculty) to interview you about dental school. After all 3 interviews, the committee members will assemble, compare notes and the chair (usually your academic advisor) will compose the letter of evaluation.
- NOTE: an interview will not be granted by the committee until the DAT has been scheduled. You must submit a copy of your DAT appointment receipt with your Application for Committee Evaluation
- The interview- If chosen, you will be asked to come to campus for an interview. While a good sign, an interview does not guarantee acceptance. Each of the state supported schools in Kentucky may interview 150-200 applicants for a first year class of 57 (UK) and 120 (UL). For a students take on this process, go to the interview feedback page.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,