- Take the MCAT - preferably in the April-August of the year prior to your matriculation (summer 2010 for fall 2011). You could take the MCAT as late as January of the year you matriculate, but this is not recommended. You have the option to have your scores released to the schools you intend to apply to. It is highly recommended that you do release your scores as the med schools will not consider your application complete without them. If you plan to retake the test in August and have those scores submitted, they will see your April scores at that time anyway. NOTE: Some colleges of podiatric medicine will accept the GRE or DAT in lieu of the MCAT. Contact the individual admissions offices for further information.
- Apply Early- Processing of applications for admission to the fall entering class and subsequent review by the Colleges of Podiatric Medicine BEGINS in August of each year. Applications for 2011 will be available Aug. 2, 2010. You should get your application in by late September to give yourself the best chance. By the end of October, schools may have already received a hundred applications. Don't wait until the application deadline!! Priority Application Deadline is not until April 1st.
- Centralized Application Service- The AACPMAS application is available online at American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine Application Service (AACPMAS) AACPMAS makes applying as easy as possible, you can apply online. AACPMAS reproduces the information and sends it to the schools you indicate. For 2011, all 9 Colleges of Podiatric Medicine utilize AACPMAS. The charge is: 1 school, $ 135; and $35 for each additional school.
- Print out a copy of the Personal Data Sheet. Fill it out and make copies for each of your committee members.
- Application includes a personal statement (essay). Don't procrastinate writing your personal statement. You should begin right after you take the MCAT in the summer. Have peers and faculty proofread and criticize.
- Have transcripts sent to each school. Do NOT send them to AACPMAS. WKU has an online request form at http://www.wku.edu/registrar/transcript_request.php
- After receipt of materials form AACPMAS, each podiatry school will notify the applicant directly for the need of any additional materials ("secondaries") and an additional application fee. Return the secondaries promptly, this shows motivation and genuine interest in that school.
- Schedule appointments with your pre-med committee (your advisor and 2 other faculty) to interview you about med school. After the 3 one-on-one interviews the committee members will assemble, compare notes and the chair (your academic advisor) will compose the letter of evaluation. It may be a good idea to assemble your committee and conduct the interviews before leaving for the summer.
The interview- If chosen, you will be asked to come to campus for an interview. While a good sign, an interview does not guarantee acceptance. For a students take on this process, go to the interview feedback page
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,