WKU REGIONAL CAMPUSES
Bowling Green High School team wins 2013 Physics Olympics at WKU
|Date: Wednesday, February 27th, 2013||Return to Archive|
A team from Bowling Green High School won the 2013 Western Kentucky Physics Olympics.
Coached by teacher Cristen Olson, the “Purple Chem” team had the best combined placement in the five Physics Olympics events on Feb. 23 at WKU. Team members, all sophomores at BGHS, are: Emily Penn, Kate Bigler, Teaghan Chen and Hannah Lindsey.
More than 100 students from six high schools – Allen County-Scottsville, Bowling Green, Franklin-Simpson, Greenwood, South Warren and Warren Central — participated in the event.
This year’s theme was “Do-It-Yourself Physics” and included sending Mentos-powered geysers of soda as high as 27 feet into the air, shooting a stream of soda into a bucket placed more than 13 feet away, creating homemade silly putty balls that could bounce the highest, and using brooms to speed a bowling ball around an obstacle course.
Teams from Allen County-Scottsville High School and Warren Central High School tied for second place. The “Patriots” team, coached by ACSHS teacher Jeremy Byrn, consisted of senior Taylor King, juniors Titus Carter and Jared Walden, and sophomore Austin Byrn. Warren Central’s “LEEgion” team of seniors Josh Lincoln, Justin Poe, Terione Patrick and Tucker Cross was coached by teacher Kenny Lee.
Participants in 2013 Western Kentucky Physics Olympics are as follows:
- Allen County-Scottsville Patriots: Taylor King, Titus Carter, Jared Walden, Austin Byrn
- Allen County Scottsville The Anos: Quinn Towery, Keith Jones, Carter Gross, Sam Anderson
- Allen County Scottsville Default Team Name: Austen Riffe, Nathan Thompson, Isiah Burchiaga, Daniel Monterrosas
- Bowling Green Cokenators: Drew Norman, Ben Morrison, Turner Burns, Brandon Pruitt
- Bowling Green Avagadrians: Juan Atehortua, Alex Gelderman, Katrina Hanson, Priyanka Sheth
- Bowling Green Dougie and the Do-Rights: Doug Stratton, Konnor Jones, Shehan Netthisinghe, Bryce Laramore
- Bowling Green T.E.A.M: Emma Thomas, Madeleine Jones, Taylor Morris, Amber Miller
- Bowling Green Sexy Farmers: Stone Passmore, Edis Sinanovic, Priscilla Suh, Chloe Games
- Bowling Green Chuck Norris: Spencer Woods, Whitney Heard, Diamond Hollis, John Samuel Kernohan
- Bowling Green Purple Girls: Kaylen Delph, Katie Shadowen, Shana Lewis, Cheyanne Noffsinger
- Bowling Green Purple Chem: Emily Penn, Kate Bigler, Teaghan Chen, Hannah Lindsey
- Bowling Green PTCJ: Paige Hiltner, Turner Manley, Craig Redden, Jameson Hutchinson
- Bowling Green Little Bang Theory: Lauren Elson, Yedarm Kim, Valerie Richmond, Jesse Shadowen
- Bowling Green The Popsicles: Brandon Lee, Chandler Fane, Enes Attici, Will Patton
- Franklin-Simpson Wildcats Alpha: Blake Sutton, Kain Kotoucek, Brittany Rowland, Madison Freeman
- Franklin-Simpson Wildcats Beta: Clark Feckter, Brady Murray, David Tomas, Brandon Pitt
- Greenwood Ohana: Brittney Thomas, Logan Maroney, Adan Deeb, Saadia Akhtar
- Greenwood Atomic Chinchillas: Steven Carini, David Fallon, Colten Givens, David Barnhouse
- Greenwood Team 3: Cate Bunch, Alex Levesque, David Wiles, Chris Williams
- South Warren The Council of Students: Kristopher Andrew, Matt Pitcock, Gabrail Webb-Yeats, Cameron Mobley
- Warren Central Team Ratchet: Tin Phung, Nikola Jokic, Jacob Hall, Jordan Hall
- Warren Central LEEgion: Josh Lincoln, Justin Poe, Terione Patrick, Tucker Cross
Contact: Richard Gelderman, (270) 745-6203.
Drs. Leslie North and Jason Polk of the Department of Geography & Geology and Ms. Heather Thomas from WKU Housing and Residence Life recently led a group of 15 students on a Faculty-Led Study abroad course to Iceland
over 16,000 GIS professionals, educators, and users from over 120 countries attend the world’s largest conference in Geographic Information Systems (GIS). This conference was hosted by the Environmental Systems Research Institute (Esri) in San Diego, CA.
The WKU Meteorology Program is hosting more than 20 students from 10 states and Puerto Rico this week (July 17-21) for its fifth annual weather camp.
Get a glimpse of some of the beautiful photos featured in his book.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,