Healthy on the Hill - Messages
Message from EVP Howarth - Campus Update
- Susan I. Howarth
- Tuesday, March 24th, 2020
We want to thank everyone in the greater WKU community for responding so well and cooperatively to the multitude of operational changes implemented due to the COVID-19 pandemic. WKU on-campus students are vacating residence halls in an organized and safe manner. Online class offerings have started after our two-week spring break, during which faculty and staff worked diligently and imaginatively to modify course offerings and other services so that students may continue their education this spring term as well as register for summer and fall 2020 classes.
WKU is following Governor Beshear’s guidelines to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. During this time, frequent communication is essential. WKU maintains the WKU COVID-19 website (www.wku.edu/covid19) to make information readily available. Additionally, please continue to reach out to us by emailing email@example.com if you have questions that are not answered on the website. The State of Kentucky also maintains an information site: kycovid19.ky.gov, and the Governor is providing daily televised updates at 4:00 pm (CT).
Below is a summary of the status on the operational areas within the Division of Strategy, Operations & Finance.
- Parking and Transportation Services will be closed to the public but available to respond to issues via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (270) 745-2361. While field staff are assisting students with move-out activities, faculty/staff lots, disability spaces, meters and safety violations continue to be monitored.
Postal Services and Shipping & Receiving
- Until further notice, the DSU Postal Services office will be closed to the public. Departments needing to send campus mail can still do so at the Service Supply Building.
- Customers with mailboxes in DSU can pick up their mail at Service Supply as is done during December campus closings.
- To minimize face-to-face contacts, Postal Services and Shipping & Receiving are working together to coordinate campus deliveries to ensure urgent campus deliveries are made as quickly as possible.
- If your department or building is closed, please contact us so we do not attempt delivery.
- If you have ordered something that is critical, please contact us to coordinate delivery or schedule a pickup.
- Contact Postal Services at 5-3093 or Shipping & Receiving at 270-745-4262, 270-745-3058, or 270-745-2909.
- Passport Services will close to the public. Passport services are still available at the USPS location on Scottsville Road. Emergency passport services for WKU faculty, staff and students can be arranged by appointment. Call 270-745-4658 to arrange an appointment.
- Liberty Imaging closed their campus operation Friday afternoon (3/20/20). All orders can be placed online to their off-campus store and delivered to Service Supply.
- The WKU Store will be closed to the public until further notice. Orders may be placed online and if necessary curbside pickup will be available on arrangement. Discounted shipping rates are available for online orders at www.wkustore.com.
- Facilities is monitoring current campus use as students continue to vacate residence halls and staff increasingly work remotely. If you see an area needing attention, please call facilities management 270-745-3253 so we can address.
Finance and Human Resources
- Employees should continue to practice the highest levels of self-care and well-being. The link to HR page is here.
- If you currently participate in the ORP (Optional Retirement Plan) with one of our vendors/partners, TIAA, Fidelity, VALIC or VOYA, or if you have a supplemental retirement account, you may be feeling anxious and uncertain about your retirement account. TIAA is offering a free webinar on Wednesday, March 25, 1:00 – 2:00pm (central) to provide a perspective and possible strategies that may be important during a period of uncertainty. Log-in to TIAA and sign up.
Information Technology Services
- Campus ITS Resources – Phone and network service will continue as normal. Service Desk hours will be normal as well. Open computer lab hours will be limited, and schedules will be posted here.
Supply Chain Management
- Please continue to only place essential orders as we have reduced staff on site to process and deliver.
- Please see information about Shipping & Receiving under Business Services above.
- If you are ordering items or services in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, please add COVID-19 to the beginning of your Justification text on all requisitions and purchase orders. Please add COVID-19 to the beginning of transaction notes for Pcard purchases.
University Funded Travel
- University-funded travel restrictions remain in place.
- If you have travel that is cancelled, please contact the travel vendor to determine what refunds are available before inquiring about travel reimbursements. Travel reimbursement will be reviewed by the applicable Dean or Senior Divisional Officer on a case-by-case basis.
WKU Police Department
- Business continues per usual with some modifications. We are reducing the number of face-to-face contacts by taking some reports over the phone and by closing our front lobby to the public. We have an outside phone/camera in place for those who do walk-up to contact the on-duty dispatcher.
- Access Control has reduced their on-site staff. Please contact Quentin Hughes at (270) 745-5050 for assistance.
Again, thank you for continued cooperation. Stay healthy Hilltoppers!
Susan I. Howarth | Executive Vice President
Division of Strategy, Operations and Finance