2017 ZSEIFS: Bosnia-Herzegovina Program Information
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, October 17, COB
PROGRAM DATES: Summer 2017, TBD
TOTAL PROGRAM FEE: Faculty: $1,400 - $1,800* | Administrators: $2,200 - $2,700**
*Faculty will be asked to secure funds from departmental, college, or other university sources. OIP will cover the remaining program costs.
**Faculty with administrative responsibilities (e.g., deans, department heads, vice-presidents) will be asked to secure funds in cost-sharing from departmental, college or university sources and clearly articulate how their participation will impact their department or college.
The ZSEIFS seeks to sustainably internationalize the teaching, research, and service of the faculty who participate. One of the key ways in which the ZSEIFS accomplishes this is by connecting participants with scholars or other experts in their respective fields. These connections may lead to future research projects, collaborative teaching, or even a Fulbright experience.
Like previous ZSEIFS programs, the upcoming ZSEIFS Bosnia-Herzegovina will incorporate visits to Bosnian universities, among them, the American University in Bosnia and Herzegovina (AUBih). WKU has had a partnership with AUBiH since 2015. Other universities tentatively included in the ZSEIFS Bosnia-Herzegovina itinerary are the University of Sarajevo, the University of Tuzla, and the University of Mostar. Those interested in participating in the 2017 ZSEIFS are encouraged to take some time to familiarize themselves with AUBiH--particularly the programs/departments that align with your area of expertise as well as any administrators, faculty or other staff that would be of value to connect with. However, due to language barriers, applicants are encouraged to contact the Program Leader Jerry Daday, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org), for advice on identifying scholars, programs, and departments in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Physical, Medical, Dietary, and Cost Considerations
- Smoking is very common in Bosnia-Herzegovina. While we will endeavor to secure accommodations
that are non-smoking, it will be impossible to avoid smoking in public spaces like
- Participants should be capable of walking at least four miles each day (on average).
- Many of our meetings will require professional dress (for men, jacket and tie; for
women, business casual/suit).
- Participants should also anticipate warmer temperatures (75-90 degrees). Air conditioning
will be very limited. We hope to secure accommodations with air conditioning, but
cannot guarantee it. Other spaces—like office buildings, restaurants, etc.—are not
likely to be air-conditioned.
- Roads are narrow, winding, and regularly change in elevation. We will be traveling
with vans to various sites in Bosnia. We anticipate spending at least 15-17 hours
on the road.
- Bosnian cuisine is dominated by organic meats; vegetarians and those living a vegan
or gluten-free diet will experience difficulties finding suitable eating options.
- We will not always be near quality medical facilities. If you have a condition that
may require rapid medical attention, this is not the program for you.
- Participants should expect to share rooms with other ZSEIFS participants in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
- The Program Fee includes a round-trip international flight, in-country accommodations (any costs associated with out-side of program travel will be the responsibility of the individual participant), a select number of group meals, in-country program-related group travel, entrance fees for group activities. While the ZSEIFS aims to foster cross-departmental connections, the individual goals of the participants are equally important. As such, each participant will receive a small amount of funding to help offset the cost of other activities connected to pursuing their individual goals (e.g., taxi cab to reach a meeting, entrance fee to visit a site not included in group itinerary, etc.). Participants will be responsible for covering the cost of domestic travel to/from the Nashville airport (BNA) as well as dining expenses for meals not included as part of accommodations or as an official group meal. Participants should plan to bring $300 in personal funds to cover food and miscellaneous items for the duration of the trip.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,