Students planning a career in dentistry should follow the pre-dentistry curriculum at WKU. All applicants to dental school must take the Dental Admission Test (DAT) approximately one year prior to intended matriculation. Most schools of dentistry have a requirement for observation/shadowing a practitioner. Students should plan on completing their hours of required observation by the end of the junior year.
- English 100 Intro to College Writing and English 300 Writing in the Disciplines
- BIOL 120/121 Biological Concepts Cells, Metabolism, and Genetics
- BIOL 122/123 Biological Concepts: Evolution, Diversity, and Ecology
- BIOL 226/227 Microbial Biology & Diversity
- BIOL 446 or CHEM 446 Biochemistry
- CHEM 120/121 College Chemistry I
- CHEM 222/223 College Chemistry II
- CHEM 340/341 Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 342/343 Organic Chemistry II
- PHYS 231/232 Physics & Biophysics I
- PHYS 332/233 Physics & Biophysics II
- Math 116 College Algebra and Math 117 Trigonometry
It is highly recommended that students planning a dental career complete the entire four-year curriculum and receive the baccalaureate degree before entering a dental college. A few dental schools will accept students after three years of undergraduate work. One year of satisfactory work in dental school can then be transferred to WKU in order to receive the Bachelor of Science degree. All requirements for Colonnade Program and the core courses for a major and minor must be completed. Courses taken in dental school may then (at the discretion of the department head) be accepted by the major and/or minor departments at WKU allowing the student to receive the bachelor's degree.
Please note: Recommended courses are based on WKU's assessment of specific professional school requirements. Students should, in consultation with their advisor, review the requirements at the professional schools of their choice.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,