Mission & Accreditation
Additonally, Western Kentucky University is one of only 36 insititutions in the U.S. to be accredited on all four arts areas: Theatre, Dance, Music, and Art & Design.
Department of Theatre & Dance Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Theatre & Dance is to develop in students the ability to synthesize knowledge and creativity in performance and production, as well as skills in problem solving, group dynamics, and leadership, all intended to make our graduates viable in the professional fields of theatre and dance and/or other vocational endeavors.
Dance Program Mission Statement
The Dance Program supports the mission statements of WKU and the Department of Theatre & Dance by providing an environment conducive to comprehensive training in performance, choreography, and dance pedagogy within the framework of a liberal arts education at the Bachelor of Arts level. By integrating dance and general studies, we strive to create “Thinking Artists,” individuals who work to achieve their highest potential as artists, technicians, and scholars.
The Dance Program is based upon the central premise that education is paramount in preparing artists to engage in the global society in which we live. By developing creative artists and nurturing the art of dance in higher education, the Dance Program produces individuals that may be empowered to enrich and further the arts in our society in relevant, diverse, and meaningful ways. It is our goal to provide students with opportunities challenging each dance major to realize the full potential of his or her dance talents while being adequately prepared to meet the rigorous standards within the dance field and society. In addition, the Dance Program seeks to engage and educate the broader community about dance and its role in the human experience through public performance, outreach programs, and general education classes.
We commit ourselves to the following objectives:
- To provide a challenging and diverse dance curriculum for our degree-seeking students and those who major in other discipline
- To provide opportunities that challenge each dance major to realize the full potential of his/her dance talents.
- To adequately prepare students to meet the rigorous standards within the dance field and society.
- To instill within all students an understanding and appreciation for the value and significance of dance in the professional field and in a global culture
- To nourish a high-quality academic environment
- To support the creative and scholarly research of the dance faculty, especially in ways that enhance teaching and promote diversity of perspective, style, and methodology
- To advocate excellence in dance education in support of cultural diversity
- To serve the community of southwest Kentucky through high-quality public performances and outreach programs
- To promote and celebrate our national presence in the field of dance