- About WKU T&D
- Faculty & Staff
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Guest Artists
- Our Shows
- PCAL Creative Arts Scholarship
- Schedules & Forms
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Shows for Schools
- Theatre in Diversion
- Tour our Department!
Dance on The Hill
The Dance Program supports the mission statements of WKU and the Department of Theatre & Dance by providing an environment conducive to comprehensive training in performance, choreography, and dance pedagogy within the framework of a liberal arts education at the Bachelor of Arts level. By integrating dance and general studies, we strive to create “Thinking Artists,” individuals who work to achieve their highest potential as artist, technicians, and scholars.
The Dance Program is based upon the central premise that education is paramount in preparing artists to engage in the global society in which we live. By developing creative artists and nurturing the art of dance in higher education, the Dance Program produces individuals that may be empowered to enrich and further the arts in our society in relevant, diverse, and meaningful ways. It is our goal to provide students with opportunities challenging each dance major to realize the full potential of his or her dance talents while being adequately prepared to meet the rigorous standards within the dance field and society. In addition, the Dance Program seeks to engage and educate the broader community about dance and its role in the human experience through public performance, outreach programs, and general education classes.
We commit ourselves to the following objectives:
- To provide a challenging and diverse dance curriculum for our degree-seeking students and those who major in other discipline
- To provide opportunities that challenge each dance major to realize the full potential of his/her dance talents.
- To adequately prepare students to meet the rigorous standards within the dance field and society.
- To instill within all students an understanding and appreciation for the value and significance of dance in the professional field and in a global culture
- To nourish a high-quality academic environment
- To support the creative and scholarly research of the dance faculty, especially in ways that enhance teaching and promote diversity of perspective, style, and methodology
- To advocate excellence in dance education in support of cultural diversity
- To serve the community of southwest Kentucky through high-quality public performances and outreach programs
- To promote and celebrate our national presence in the field of dance
Western Kentucky University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Dance.
Click here to read WKU Dance Program: A New Chapter.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,