- Teacher Admissions
- Field Experience
- Student Teaching
- Teacher Certification
- Minority Recruitment And Retention Center
- Alternative Route To Teacher Certification Program
- TEACH Grant
- International Cross-Cultural Initiatives
- School of Teacher Education
- University Supervisors
- Praxis Information
Requirements For Admission To Student Teaching
Beginning September 1, 2013 – Effective For Spring 2014 Student Teacher Candidates.
- FORMAL ADMISSION TO TEACHER EDUCATION ONE SEMESTER PRIOR TO APPLICATION (Teacher Admission File Complete)
- APPLIED FOR STUDENT TEACHING BY FEBRUARY 15 FOR FALL PLACEMENT AND BY SEPTEMBER 15 FOR SPRING PLACEMENT
- GRADE POINT AVERAGE (NEW REQUIREMENTS)
- Overall - 2.75
- Certification Subject(s) – Major(s) & Minor(s) - 2.75
- Professional Education - 2.75
- CRITICAL PERFORMANCE AVERAGES
- Disposition Scores - Disposition Averages of 3 or higher in all areas
- Critical Performance Score Averages of 2.5 or higher per KY Teacher Standard & Overall Average of 3 or higher.
- COMPLETION OF PREREQUISITES
- All professional education courses except student teaching and EDU 489, SMED 489, or SPED 434 and received grades of “C” or higher in all these courses
- Met additional requirements described in prerequisites for ELED 490, MGE 490, SEC 490, SPED 490, or IECE 490
- At least 75% of the major area or area of concentration must be completed. If student teaching is allowed in the minor, 100% of the minor must be completed prior to student teaching.
- Documented a minimum of 200 clock hours of approved field experiences in a variety of P-12 school settings and submitted a record of all clinical hours for review and confirmation.
- At least one full semester of courses completed at Western Kentucky University. (Graduate students who are completing certification requirements must have the equivalent of one summer session - 6 semester hours.)
- SENIOR STANDING - completion of at least 90 semester hours
- VALID AND CURRENT** MEDICAL EXAMINATION, including tuberculin assessment. **Not older than one year from the end of the semester you plan to student teach**
- MORAL, SOCIAL, AND ETHICAL BEHAVIOR(as defined in the Professional code of Ethics for Kentucky School Certified Personnel) must be demonstrated in the school community and the community at large.
Note: Kentucky and Federal Criminal Records checks will be conducted by the student's assigned school districts AFTER the student teaching placement has been made.
CERTAIN COURSEWORK MAY NOT BE TAKEN DURING STUDENT TEACHING without written permission from the Director of Teacher Services. If you are planning to take a course during student teaching, you must email the student teaching office, firstname.lastname@example.org, to ensure that it does not conflict with state or university regulations.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,