WKU is pleased to announce our participation in Campus Conservation Nationals
and Earth Hour!
Earth Hour, March 23, from 8:30-9:30 , kicks off the beginning of our "Campus Conservation
Nationals Bluegrass Unplugged" competition to save energy. Turn off the lights for
Earth Hour and join the PowerSave Interns for a Green Campus Scavenger Hunt.
Then, from March 23 - April 12, unplug, turn-off, and conserve to beat UK, Berea,
and UofL in the Bluegrass Unplugged Edition of Campus Conservation Nationals.
Check out Hilltoppers' Earth Hour "I will if you will" dares to save the planet!
Six EASY ways to conserve:
1. Unplug to stop vampire energy. The appliances in your room use 20-40 watts of energy
when turned off! Unplugging computers, phone chargers, and other appliances will prevent
them from sucking energy.
2. Plug your computer (and all of its components) and other electronics into a power
strip and turn off the strip when you leave your room or go to bed.
3. Make sure you have a compact fluorescent lightbulb (CFL) in your desk lamp. CFLs
use 60-75% less energy. Don't have a CFL? Email email@example.com and they
will give you one!
4. Set your computer to go into sleep mode after 10 minutes of inactivity. Screensavers
are not energy savers!
5. Turn off the lights in empty rooms and use natural light whenever possible. Research
shows that natural light can improve productivity.
6. Contact a PowerSave Intern for a residence hall room energy audit, or for more tips on how to conserve. firstname.lastname@example.org or "Like" WKU PowerSave Campus on Facebook!
Track our progress on our Energy Kiosk.
The most energy conserving residence halls during the three week period get the Reduce Your Use trophy, bragging rights, recognition, love from Big Red, limited edition Bluegrass Unplugged t-shirts and free scoops of Big Red Rumble - at the WKU Earth Day Festival - April 26th, 11-3:30 in Centennial Mall.
The Campus Conservation Nationals is sponsored by the U.S. Green Building Council
(USGBC), and in partnership with Lucid, Alliance to Save Energy and the National Wildlife
Watch dares to save the planet by Big Red, WKU AID and your PowerSave Interns: http://www.youtube.com/earthhour
Or upload your own dare to save the planet!
Schedule of Events:
All events are free, open to all, and swipe-able.
Mini Film Festival: 3/5 Light-Bulb Conspiracy, 4/9 Castle in the Sky
8pm-10pm, MMTH Auditorium
For more information contact PowerSave Intern Sophia Sterlin.
3/23 Earth Hour & Scavenger Hunt, 8:30-9:30pm
Turn off the lights for Earth Hour and join the PowerSave interns for a green campus
Meet at Topper Café Patio.
Teams of 2-5. Prizes for 1-3rd place. www.earthhour.org
For more information contact PowerSave Intern Mary Newton.
3/23-4/12 Campus Conservation Nationals Bluegrass Unplugged Edition.
Help WKU residence halls win 1st place and show UK, UofL, and Berea how energy conservation
4/26 WKU Earth Day Festival. 11-3:30 in Centennial Mall. Announcing CCN winners.
Contact Christian Ryan-Downing to participate!