Study Away Application
This process should only be used for programs listed on the Study Away website. Starting for Winter 2019 programs, students wishing to apply for a domestic WKU faculty-led program will apply using the Study Abroad & Global Learning application.
Participation in a domestic WKU faculty-led program requires you to complete several steps. We try to make this as easy as possible, but these steps must be followed.
- Carefully read the Student Handbook BEFORE applying for a program. If you have any questions, be sure to contact Study Abroad & Global Learning right away.
- Complete the Study Away Application via TopNet. This link will be active when a program
is open. You will need the following items ready when you apply.
- A credit card (initial payment required with application)
- Medical insurance card or policy information with name of insured; policy number; group number; and expiration date
- If accepted, Study Abroad & Global Learning will register you for the course and you will receive email notification.
- Provide proof of medical insurance when requested.
- Pay the balance of the program fee.
- Attend the orientation.
- The course instructor may also require other meetings or assignments in preparation for the program as stated in the syllabus.
Students must meet the following minimum requirements to be eligible for a program:
- Current WKU student eligible to enroll in WKU courses OR students from outside WKU may participate as visiting student.
- Student must be in good academic standing.
- A minimum of 18 years of age at time of departure (those under 18 will be considered on a case by case basis).
- Students must be free of active student conduct records as verified by the Office of Student Conduct.
- Complete Study Away application and pay deposit.
- Complete pre-departure program.
- Full payment prior to departure.
- Permission of instructor.
According the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Study Abroad & Global Learning (SAGL) may only share directory information without your consent.
During your participation in a WKU faculty-led program, the SAO may need to provide other information about your education record (including class schedule, attendance, travel arrangements) to a parent, guardian or other third parties.
We recommend that you allow SAGL to share information with parents, guardian, spouses or those financially responsible for the program. Information about another student will not be provided without that student’s consent.
You will find the release authorization in the study away application in TopNet.
For more information on FERPA, contact an advisor or visit this link.
Currently, participating in a domestic faculty-led program does not require a specific medical/health insurance.
However, to participate, you must provide proof of medical/health insurance by submitting a copy of your insurance card to the Study Away Office when requested.
KYNECT offers insurance options for you. Link to KYNECT
- An on-line search option for all types of travel-related medical and accident insurance. http://www.insuremytrip.com/index.html
Again, WKU does not endorse a specific insurance, but we do require that you provide proof of coverage for the duration of your domestic faculty-led program.
Study Away Handbook
Ready to Apply?
Reminder... Before applying, read the handbook and have credit card and insurance information ready.
(Log in to TopNet, Select Student Services, and scroll to bottom)
See these instructions for how to use the TOPNET Study Away Application (PDF).