Folklore Practice & Policy
This course travels to the nation's capital to engage face-to-face with current folklore leaders in cultural policy as it relates to public folklore documentation, presentation, and conservation within government agencies as well as non-profit organizations with similarly aligned missions.
- Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage
- National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities
- American Folklife Center/Library of Congress
- National Park Service – Historical Preservation Division
- Achieve an in-depth understanding of the roles of government entities in traditional arts conservations as it relates to public folklore, including policy, archive management, grants management, promotion, and documentation/public dissemination of folk culture.
- Gain a greater understanding of the depth and breadth of the field of public folklore.
- Begin networking, with future career goals in mind, with leaders in the fields of Public Folklore, Cultural Resources Management, Intangible Cultural Heritage, and Historic Preservation.
- Demonstrate through both oral and written means and understanding of the concepts of public folklore in these varied forms as they apply in the specific settings experiences in this course.
Program leaders may determine stricter eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants earning credit in a program would meet these requirements:
- Good academic standing as defined in Graduate Catalog
- A minimum of 18 years of age at time of departure (parental/legal guardian expressed, written consent required for those under 18 at time of departure) Refer to program green sheet for program specific details,
- No current disciplinary sanctions as verified by the WKU Office of Student Conduct.
By applying for a Study Away program, you give permission of the staff of the Office
of Study Away to access your Student Conduct record to verify eligibility.
- Students who become ineligible to attend the program after applying due to disciplinary sanctions will be subject to standard program cost penalty rates. Students are responsible for notifying the Office of Study Away when they become aware of this ineligibility.
- Complete Study Away application and pay deposit,
- Possess a valid form of Government issued identification (i.e. driver’s license) as required to fly within the United States,
- Complete pre-departure program,
- Full payment prior to departure, and
- Permission of instructor.
Included in Base Package
- Graduate tuition for 3 credit hours
- Round-trip airfare to Washington DC
- Lodging accommodations during program
- Entrance fees for all program related activities and tips
- Designated group meals
- Course-related ground transportation
Excluded from Base Package
- Items not explicitly listed in package.
- Transportation between your departure airport and your home.
- Independent travel (non-program travel).
- Personal expenses such as laundry, phone service, and Internet access.
- Tips for guides and drivers not included in program-related activity.
- Travel cancellation/interruption insurance. Highly recommended.
- Baggage fees and costs associated with flight changes.
- Meals & Services and beverages not mentioned in the program
See program details for official information about this course.
Course moved to Spring 2019
- Folk Studies 585:
Public Folklore Policy and Practices in Washington DC
- Brent Björkman
- Washington DC
- Winter 2019
On-site: March 2019
- Syllabus (coming soon)
- Non-credit Registration Form
Western Kentucky University and its associates are not responsible for any loss due to theft, personal injury, flight or weather delays, negligence, or default of suppliers, or suppliers changing of itineraries. They and their associates are not responsible for any loss due to travel/flight delays or changes in travel plans due to Acts of Nature or other unforeseen circumstances, nor are we responsible for accidents and medical care. Tour services are furnished by independent contractors who are not agents or servants of Western Kentucky University. Refunds are not available for unused portions of the package.