Dance in New York City
This study away program in New York City is designed to provide students with an enriched opportunity to experience dance technique and choreography from a historical and cultural perspective. Students will be immersed in the New York City dance scene by participating in dance technique classes at professional studios, attending a variety of professional dance performances, and touring significant venues that provide creative inspiration to historical and contemporary choreography.
This course helps fulfill the requirement for Explorations within the WKU Colonnade program. Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Articulate an understanding and perception of the following questions: What is dance? Why do we dance? What do I feel about dance?
- Use appropriate vocabulary for the description and critical analysis of dance performance
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze and evaluate dance choreography and performance
- Articulate how social, cultural, and historical contexts have influenced dance technique, choreography and performance throughout various historical periods
- Develop an understanding of how dance relates to its surroundings
- Understand how the city can be used as an arts resource for research, technique, and dance making
- Offer dancers a chance to experience the world of professional dance
- Provide individualized encounters that engage students in building relationships and networking in preparation for professional careers in dance
- Development of customized dance experiences based on the student’s chosen area/genre of study
Program leaders may determine stricter eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants earning credit in a program would meet these requirements:
- Good academic standing as defined in the Undergraduate Catalog or Graduate Catalog: Undergraduate catalog - https://www.wku.edu/undergraduatecatalog/index.php
- A minimum of 16 years of age at time of departure (parental/legal guardian expressed, written consent required for those under 18 at time of departure) Refer to program green sheet for program specific details,
- No current disciplinary sanctions as verified by the WKU Office of Student Conduct.
By applying for a Study Away program, you give permission of the staff of the Office
of Study Away to access your Student Conduct record to verify eligibility.
- Students who become ineligible to attend the program after applying due to disciplinary sanctions will be subject to standard program cost penalty rates. Students are responsible for notifying the Office of Study Away when they become aware of this ineligibility.
- Complete Study Away application and pay deposit,
- Possess a valid form of Government issued identification (i.e. driver’s license) as required to fly within the United States,
- Complete pre-departure program,
- Full payment prior to departure, and
- Permission of instructor
Included in Base Package
- 3-6 undergraduate credit hours
- Round-trip airfare to NYC
- Lodging accommodations during program
- Entrance fees for all program related activities, including studio dance classes
- Designated group meals
- Course-related ground transportation
Excluded from Base Package
- Items not explicitly listed in package.
- Transportation between your departure airport and your home.
- Independent travel (non-program travel).
- Personal expenses such as laundry, phone service, and Internet access.
- Tips for guides and drivers not included in program-related activity.
- Travel cancellation/interruption insurance. Highly recommended.
- Baggage fees and costs associated with flight changes.
- Meals & Services and beverages not mentioned in the program
Download and read the Program Details for complete program information!
- DANC 110 – Dance Appreciation*
- PERF 461 – Performing Arts Practicum
*Fulfills Colonnade Course Requirement
- New York City
- Winter 2019
- Onsite in New York City: Jan 6-13, 2019
- Estimated at $2155
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, OCTOBER 12TH!
Western Kentucky University and its associates are not responsible for any loss due to theft, personal injury, flight or weather delays, negligence, or default of suppliers, or suppliers changing of itineraries. They and their associates are not responsible for any loss due to travel/flight delays or changes in travel plans due to Acts of Nature or other unforeseen circumstances, nor are we responsible for accidents and medical care. Tour services are furnished by independent contractors who are not agents or servants of Western Kentucky University. Refunds are not available for unused portions of the package.