NEW YORK CITY
IDFM New York Study Tour
Travel to fashion and design centers in New York City to gain firsthand knowledge concerning design, production, marketing, and promotion of textiles, clothing, and home furnishings. New York provides a variety of opportunities for students to meet professionals in the industry. Whether students are interested in design, historic costumes, theatre, manufacturing, or marketing, New York provides a perfect environment for students to have real world experiences. This study away in New York, the fashion capitol of the United States, reinforces the comprehensive base of the IDFM program. Students meet with industry professionals across the spectrum of diverse career areas in fashion. IDFM 423 is a Spring term class with a Study Away component at the end of the term.
- Students apply a variety of communication techniques and technologies appropriate to prepare for the professional presentations that they will be exposed to during the study away.
- Students will demonstrate creative thinking through presentation of a variety of topics based on the specifics of the study away program.
- Our primary objectives are to provide students the best possible venues to observe the workplace in action and explore employment and internship opportunities
Program leaders may determine stricter eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants earning credit in a program would meet these requirements:
- Students must have IDFM declared major to register for this course.
- Good academic standing as defined in the Undergraduate Catalog or Graduate Catalog: Undergraduate catalog - https://www.wku.edu/undergraduatecatalog/index.php
- A minimum of 18 years of age at time of departure (Those under 18 years of age reviewed on a case by case basis) Refer to program green sheet for program specific details,
- No current disciplinary sanctions as verified by the WKU Office of Student Conduct.
By applying for a Study Away program, you give permission of the staff of the Office
of Study Away to access your Student Conduct record to verify eligibility.
- Students who become ineligible to attend the program after applying due to disciplinary sanctions will be subject to standard program cost penalty rates. Students are responsible for notifying the Office of Study Away when they become aware of this ineligibility.
- Complete Study Away application and pay deposit,
- Possess a valid form of Government issued identification (i.e. driver’s license) as required to fly within the United States,
- Complete pre-departure program,
- Full payment prior to departure, and
- Permission of instructor.
Included in Base Package
- Round-trip airfare to New York City
- Lodging accommodations during program
- Professional Industry Visits
- Entrance fees for all program related activities and tips
- Designated group meals
- Course-related ground transportation, including unlimited metro pass
Excluded from Base Package
- Undergraduate Tuition for 3 credit hours
- Items not explicitly listed in package.
- Transportation between your departure airport and your home.
- Independent travel (non-program travel).
- Personal expenses such as laundry, phone service, and Internet access.
- Tips for guides and drivers not included in program-related activity.
- Travel cancellation/interruption insurance. Highly recommended.
- Baggage fees and costs associated with flight changes.
- Meals & Services and beverages not mentioned in the program
See Program Details Button for specific terms and conditions.
- IDFM 423*
*IDFM major required to participate in this course
- Carrie Cox
Assistant Professor- Applied Human Sciences
- New York City
- Spring 2019
- Study Away Component: May 14-19, 2019
- Study Away Program Cost: $2010-$2085 (final amount based on final lodging/airfare costs)
- Regular semester tuition applies
Students should complete Study Away application by priority deadline of December 1, 2018.
Western Kentucky University and its associates are not responsible for any loss due to theft, personal injury, flight or weather delays, negligence, or default of suppliers, or suppliers changing of itineraries. They and their associates are not responsible for any loss due to travel/flight delays or changes in travel plans due to Acts of Nature or other unforeseen circumstances, nor are we responsible for accidents and medical care. Tour services are furnished by independent contractors who are not agents or servants of Western Kentucky University. Refunds are not available for unused portions of the package.