Hospitality in Key West and Miami
Exploration of the Hospitality Industry, specifically Hotels, Restaurants, Suppliers, Event Venues, and/or Popular Tourist Attractions. Topics include: management styles of various industry facilities, marketing strategies that are used within the hospitality industry, comparative analysis between various types of establishments in the industry, and learning operational and logistical management in the hospitality industry. Special emphasis on careers related to the fields of: Management, Communication, Marketing, Sales, Recreation, Fashion, Interior Design, Event Management, Hospitality, Restaurants, and/or Business. Students will be required to travel to Miami/Key West, Florida for this class.
This class is not restricted to Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management Students.
- Compare and analyze different management styles & techniques used in hospitality organizations, as directed by the instructor.
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of hospitality organizations.
- Develop an awareness of how various units of hospitality organizations work together to produce a pleasant experience for tourist.
- Network: meet people and learn about resources in the travel site community as well as discover opportunities for student leadership/internship involvement.
Program leaders may determine stricter eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants earning credit in a program would meet these requirements:
- Current WKU student eligible to enroll in WKU courses OR students from outside WKU may participate as non-degree seeking student.
- Student must be in good academic standing.
- A minimum of 16 years of age at time of departure (parental/legal guardian expressed, written consent required for those under 18 at time of departure).
- Students must be free of active disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs.
- Complete Study Away application and pay deposit.
- Complete pre-departure program.
- Full payment prior to departure.
- Permission of instructor.
If a student completes a program without full payment prior to the departure, the student should receive an incomplete until the obligation is paid. DELO will inform faculty leaders if a student is in this situation prior to the Study Away term grade deadline.
Included in Package
- Undergraduate tuition for 3 credit hours.
- Round trip airfare to/from Nashville (BNA) Airport
- All lodging accommodations during program.
- Entrance fees for all program related activities and tips.
- Designated group meals.
- Course-related ground transportation.
Excluded from Package
- Items not explicitly listed in base package.
- Transportation between your departure airport and your home.
- Independent travel (non-program travel).
- Personal expenses such as laundry, phone service, and Internet access.
- Tips for guides and drivers not included in program-related activity.
- Travel cancellation/interruption insurance. Highly recommended.
- Baggage fees and costs associated with flight changes.
- Meals & Services and beverages not mentioned in the program
Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
WKU tuition discounts do not apply.
See Program Details link for specifics.
- Physical requirements include walking/standing approximately 4-5 hours/day. Students will be expected to participate in activities which may include: boating, snorkeling, climbing, and other similar physical activities.
- This program includes working closely in a professional environment. The highest levels or professionalism and maturity are required.
- FACS 411: Special Topics
- Key West
- Winter 2018
- Study Away Component
January 3 - 10, 2018
Program Base Package
- Syllabus (coming soon)
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,