Today@WKU: February 1, 2019
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Friday, February 1st, 2019
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for February 1, 2019.
@WKUweather captured this view of Thursday's sunset. Warmer temperatures are in the forecast this weekend.
- View from the Hill: W-Club keeps WKU athletes connected: It’s a brotherhood and sisterhood of athletes who have represented WKU in intercollegiate athletics for more than 90 years. The Alumni W-Club is still going strong and is looking to recruit more members as WKU’s Amy Bingham explains in this week’s View from the Hill.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Men’s basketball: Tops Win Wild Overtime Thriller Over UTSA, 96-88: There was no quit in WKU Hilltopper Basketball on Thursday night. The Hilltoppers (12-10, 5-4 Conference USA) forced overtime in improbable fashion against UTSA, survived the highest-scoring effort from an opposing player ever at E.A. Diddle Arena, then stormed to victory in overtime for a 96-88 home win. Next: WKU vs. UTEP at 6 p.m. Saturday.
- Women’s basketball: Lady Toppers Get Long-Awaited Road Win at UTSA, 81-62: Dee Givens poured in 25 points, WKU forced 23 turnovers and the Lady Toppers (13-9, 7-1 C-USA) cruised to an 81-62 victory inside the UTSA Convocation Center on Thursday afternoon, WKU's first-ever road win over the Roadrunners. Next: WKU at UTEP at 2 p.m. Saturday.
- Men’s golf: C-USA Renames Coaching Award for Phillip Hatchett: Conference USA has officially renamed its top men's golf coaching accolade as the Phillip Hatchett Coach of the Year award, in honor of the late WKU head coach and graduate who passed away in June. The league announced the change Thursday after approving the motion last week at the annual C-USA Winter Retreat.
- Track & Field: Rod McCravy Memorial Invite Up Next for WKU: In its fourth-straight weekend of competition, WKU Track and Field is headed to the Kentucky-hosted Rod McCravy Memorial Invitational today and Saturday.
- Baseball: Countdown to First Pitch - 100 Days of Hilltopper History: As WKU prepares for the 100th Season of Hilltopper Baseball, WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Baseball, leading up to First Pitch at Nick Denes Field on February 15. More: Fan voting open for All Century Team.
- WKU president talks economic development, college affordability with Rotary Club: College affordability and economic development were just a few of the topics WKU President Timothy C. Caboni discussed with the Bowling Green Rotary Club on Wednesday during the group’s weekly meeting.
- Heading into Super Bowl, Rams' Tyler Higbee can give WKU credit: Looking back, Los Angeles Rams tight end Tyler Higbee was made a pro at WKU.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: Share your #RedTowelsAtWork photos; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11); Highbrow; Even Coverlets Get the Blues; Jacqui Lubbers: A Legacy in Weaving; plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Call for Artists: US Bank Celebration of the Arts deadline for entries is Feb. 8. Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- Art Exhibit: The Island of My Love: The Faces and Stories of Cuba. Through April 6. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Gallery. Part of International Year of Cuba. Contact Miwon Choe, (270) 745-7052.
- Photo Exhibit: Mount Sterling: Gateway to the Heart. Through March 1. Jody Richards Hall Gallery. Contact Tim Broekema, (270) 745-3005.
Friday, February 1
- 5:30 p.m.: International Year of Cuba P-12 Teacher Workshop. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Gallery and room 425. Contact Miwon Choe, (270) 745-7052.
Saturday, February 2
- 9 a.m.: International Year of Cuba P-12 Teacher Workshop. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Gallery and room 425. Contact Miwon Choe, (270) 745-7052.
- 9:30 a.m.: Winter Super Saturdays. Various campus locations. Continues each Saturday in February. Contact Gifted Studies, (270) 745-6323.
- 11 a.m.: Southern Kentucky Team Penning. L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center. Contact Ag Expo Center, (270) 745-3976.
- 1 p.m.: WKU Piano Studio Concert. Van Meter Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 6 p.m.: Hilltopper Basketball vs. UTEP. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
Sunday, February 3
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 3 p.m.: WKU Chorale KMEA Performance Farewell Concert. First Christian Church, 1106 State St. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Tuesday, February 5
- 10:30 a.m.: Study Abroad Fair. Mahurin Honors College-International Center. Contact Study Abroad, (270) 745-5334.
- 3:30 p.m.: Presentation: The Case Against Free College by Dr. Beth Akers, senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute. Grise Hall, room 235. Contact Brian Strow, (270) 745-7082.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.