WKU honors faculty, staff at annual Convocation
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Friday, August 24th, 2018
President Timothy C. Caboni presented the Spirit of WKU Award to Dr. Lacretia Dye.
WKU honored several university-wide award winners during the annual Faculty and Staff Convocation Friday (Aug 24).
The Spirit of WKU Award
The Spirit of WKU Award recognizes someone who represents WKU in a distinguished manner consistent with the vision, mission and spirit of the University.
Dr. Lacretia Dye, Associate Professor of Counseling and Student Affairs, emulates a contagious spirit of engagement, enthusiasm and social interest. Since joining WKU in 2012, she has been an active member of the Hilltopper family, as well as an initiator of many organizations and social groups both on campus and within the community.
Although she was hired in a graduate-only department, she has reached out in numerous ways to the entire WKU campus and beyond. She developed “The Love Group” which serves to support the mental wellness of students of color on campus. She also created campus-wide “Drumming to Release: An alternative to Thirsty Thursdays” and “All Shades of Sisterhood” programs in efforts to build a community of support among students, faculty and staff. Because of her presence in the community, she is frequently invited to speak about mindfulness, yoga and wellness at both campus and community events.
Her compassionate spirit is evident in the many personal, one-on-one relationships she initiates and nourishes. During any given week, many undergraduate, graduate and international students meet with her for mentoring, support and often guidance in securing safe living accommodations. Her WKU Spirit evens extends to her home, where she regularly hosts Sunday Community meals for students, faculty, staff and the community.
Each college honors award recipients in teaching, research and creativity, public service, student advising and part-time teaching. The university-wide recipients, who receive a silver bowl and cash award, are:
- University Award for Teaching: Ching-Yi Lin, an Associate Professor in the Department of Music.
- University Award for Research/Creativity: Jason Crandall, an Associate Professor in the School of Kinesiology, Recreation & Sport.
- University Award for Public Service: Brad Stinnett, an Assistant Professor in the School of Kinesiology, Recreation & Sport.
- University Award for Student Advisement: Ke Peng, an Associate Professor in the Department of Modern Languages.
- University Award for Part-Time Teaching: Jessica Furgerson, who teaches in Communications and Forensics, and she served as the Director of Debate for the nationally ranked Forensics Team.
University Distinguished Professors
The University Distinguished Professors program recognizes faculty members who have served the University with distinction and have compiled an outstanding record of achievement in teaching, research, and service. The University Distinguished Professors appointed for the 2018-2019 academic year are:
- Dr. Ferhan Atici, a Professor in the Department of Mathematics.
- Dr. Aaron Hughey, a Professor in the Department of Counseling and Student Affairs.
Staff Excellence Awards
The Staff Excellence Awards honor staff who exhibit outstanding and meritorious service to WKU and whose character, conduct and actions amplify the WKU Spirit. The recipients, who will receive a plaque and a cash award, are:
- Staff Award Professional Non-faculty: Derick Strode, assistant director for Academic Services in the Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science in Kentucky.
- Staff Award Administrative Support: Kimberly Nessler, an administrative assistant in the English Department.
- Staff Award Skilled/Technical/Paraprofessional: Amanda Staples, a lab technician who works under the supervision of Dr. Rodney King in the Biology Department.
More: Convocation photos
Contact: Bob Skipper, (270) 745-4295