For Program Leaders
- Amend a Program
Creating Your Course
Let us help you decide which type of program you would like to propose.
How do I start planning a course?
It all starts with good planning.
Study Away programs offer innovative ways for you to teach and challenging ways for your students to learn.Planning starts here.
How do I design the course?
Designing Study Away Courses
- Study Away courses are WKU credit-bearing course for which a substantial portion of the course includes travel to destinations in which a US citizen does not need a passport.
- Study Away courses are either led by or with approval of WKU faculty or other appropriate WKU employee.
- A Study Away course is set-up in Banner with specific attributes that define it as a Study Away course.
- A Study Away course may only be offered within the Winter Term or Summer Session and not during the fall or spring semesters.
- Course creation and faculty compensation fall under the procedures outlined on the Study Away Administrative Manual.
While a faculty member is not obligated to use the services offered by the Office of Study Away Office, a Study Away course will receive all the services stated in this manual and on the website.
How does the Office of Study Away help faculty create a course?
Services We Offer
The Study Away Office is here to help make your program work by providing these services:
- Program development travel grants
- Consultation in program design
- Billing and Budgeting
- Marketing support
- Application Management
- Student registration
- Travel coordination
- Risk Management & Emergency response
- Student Scholarships
WKU’s Study Away Office offers the same level of service, but the process of creating a program is a bit different.
What are the rules of the road?
Policies & Guidance
For the safety and peace of mind of everyone involved, WKU has in place several policies that guide the administration of Study Away programs.
Is there financial support to development a program?
Program Development Grant
Familiarity with the program destination is essential. Matching grants are available through DELO to support faculty professional development. A site visit rubric improves your assessment to make sure you use your time effectively. Faculty leaders use the post-site visit report to develop the program.Apply for a Program Development Grant
How do I recruit for the course?
Recruiting students is a joint effort among the faculty leaders, the academic departments and colleges, and the Study Away office. WKU faculty members have a wide sphere of influence and can generate a lot of interest in your programs. Word-of-mouth enthusiasm can spread among other students, working to your advantage.
The Study Away staff offers insight and guidance on how to recruit based on years of professional experience and cataloging the proven practices of your colleagues.
Ideas on recruiting (coming soon).
What is the next step?
Time to get this rolling.
Propose a program by starting early.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,