The Specialist Degree in Gifted Education and Talent Development
The Specialist Degree in Gifted Education and Talent Development is planned for individuals who have earned a master’s degree and want to specialize in gifted education as they pursue further graduate work. Those who complete this degree program will be eligible for a recommendation for Rank I and may earn eligibility for the Gifted and Talented Education Endorsement through the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (KE37) if the practicum is built into the program. The program prepares candidates for teaching in elementary, middle, or high school settings; teaching in postsecondary settings; continuing graduate work toward a doctorate in gifted education and talent development; and/or other careers that involve a strong background in gifted education and talent development.
Admission: Admission requirements are having a master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education or an equivalent international institution of higher education. The applicant must have a 3.0 grade-point-average in the master’s program.
Completion: The graduate student must successfully defend a specialist project and maintain a 3.0 grade-point-average in the required courses.
- GTE 536 Nature and Needs of Gifted, Creative and Talented Students (3 hours)
- GTE 537 Curriculum, Strategies, and Materials for Gifted Students (3 hours)
- GTE 539 Assessment and Identification of gifted and Talented Children (3 hours)
- GTE 540 Developing Creativity and Leadership in Gifted Youth (3 hours)
- PSY 432G Psychology of the Gifted and Creative (3 hours)
- EDFN 500 Research Methods or equivalent (3 hours)
- GTE 636 Issues in Gifted and Talented Education (3 hours)
- GTE 637 Seminar in Gifted and Talented Education (3 hours)
- EDU 699 Specialist Project (6 hours)
- Total Hours - 30
- GTE 538 Practicum for Teachers of Gifted Students (3 hours) – addition requirement to get the gifted endorsement
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,