Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Forms & Requirements for MA Sociology Students

It is essential for our graduate students to be familiar with all requirements necessary to graduate with the Master of Arts Degree. The information below is designed to centralize these requirements and to inform you when various pieces of paperwork MUST be submitted to the Graduate School. Please review the information below carefully and revisit this page often to ensure you stay on track with the requirements of the program.

I. Required Forms:

a) Application. Prospective students should visit the WKU Graduate School website to complete the application for admissions form online.

b) Program of Study. A graduate student must submit his/her Degree Plan (Form B/C) to the Office of Graduate Studies before completing 12 graduate level credit hours. Students should review the links on the left for Plan A and Plan B when completing this paperwork to ensure that all of the course requirements have been met on the degree plan. All current graduate students should download and complete this form in their first semester of our graduate program. Please sign the three copies and leave the copies in the graduate advisor's mailbox.

c) Course Change Form: A student must also submit a Course Change Form if any courses listed on Form D are different from those listed on Form B/C. Students should complete and sign this form and leave it in the graduate advisor's mailbox.

d) A graduate student must submit an Application for Graduation Form to the Registrar's Office at the beginning of the semester in which he or she plans to graduate. It can be found on TopNet under Student Records.

e) A graduate student should next print out the thesis proposal defense form and bring it to his/her thesis proposal defense. The form will be signed by the chair of the thesis committee and additional readers following the proposal defense. The signed copy should be placed in the student's folder in the main office of the sociology department.

f) Thesis/Exam Defense Form E: After a student completes his/her Thesis Defense (Plan A) or his/her Examinations (Plan B), Form E must be signed by the Thesis Committee or the Examination Committee. A graduate student should print this form and bring it to his/her thesis defense.

The Graduate Advisor is responsible for submitting all of the paperwork listed above to the Office of Graduate Studies.

II. Additional Information about the Curriculum:

A graduate student must complete the requirements of the MA in Sociology degree within six (6) years to avoid losing course credits.

A graduate student may only apply one of the following 3-credit hour electives to his/her degree program:

a) One 3-credit hour Socl 400G Course

b) One 3-credit hour Socl 595: Directed Study

c) One 3-credit hour graduate level course from another department

d) A graduate student may receive prior approval from the graduate advisor to apply an additional 3 credits (for a total of 6) from an option listed above. Graduate students completing Plan A (Thesis Option) should carefully review the Thesis Guidelines before beginning their MA Thesis.

III. Graduate Assistantships:

Please review the information under the Funding link to learn more about the Graduate Assistantship application process.

IV. Additional Considerations for Transfer Students and Pre-Admissions Students:

A maximum of 12 graduate level credit hours may be transferred from another institution. Additional guidelines are listed on page 15 of the Graduate Catalog. A student may apply only 12 credit hours of course work to their degree program if this course work was completed before their admission into the graduate program.

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 5/25/16