- South Central KY AHEC Staff
- South Central KY AHEC Mission Statement
- Service Area
- Health Careers
- Clinical Education
- Continuing Education
- Community Health Education
- Registration Forms
- Contact Us
- Back to WKU Home
- Back to CHHS Home
- Back to AHEC
- Univ. of Louisville - KY AHEC Program Office
- Univ. of Kentucky AHEC Central Office
Rural Health Scholars Program (RHS)
The South Central AHEC offers a 4 week program each summer in June for WKU students in any of the pre-professional tracks (medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, physical therapy). This program is designed to enhance your broad understanding of the health care system and provide experiences in a variety of health care settings. This program is limited to 5 students who will be selected based on an application and personal statement. Preference will be given to students from rural and medically underserved counties. Personal transportation is required for all participants. Participants will receive a stipend for participating in this program. Applications are accepted beginning Spring Semester.
Requirements for Participation:
- Legal resident of Kentucky
- Must have transportation - this program includes many different site visits in Bowling Green and Glasgow
- Up to date TB skin test
- Up to date Immunizations
- Unofficial copy of your transcripts from TopNet
- Must pass a criminal background check - AHEC will pay for this
- Must be available to participate the entire month of June
- Must be willing to participate in the $100 Solution™**
** The $100 Solution™ utilizes course learning objectives combined with the five principles of service-learning to answer a central question for students: with this $100 bill, what can I do to enhance quality of life for others? It teaches students to ask what they can do rather than self-determining needs of others, and it demonstrates that many social problems exist that can be solved with small amounts of money, or rather, by even thinking beyond monetary solutions to make a difference in their community.
- Complete the online application.
- Email a short essay (one page or less) in a Word document to email@example.com that discusses your interest in your respective field. Be sure to answer the following questions in your essay: Why have you chosen this career? What experiences have you had in the field that you have chosen? Why do you want to participate in this program?
- Email your unofficial transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,