Facebook Pixel Suggested Undergraduate Courses - M.A. Clinical Psychology - WKU | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Suggested Undergraduate Courses - M.A. Clinical Psychology


Suggested Undergraduate Courses

The following are WKU undergraduate psychology and general education courses suggested for the individual considering a graduate program in clinical psychology, counseling psychology or certain other mental health professions. The list includes courses most directly related to the practice of psychology.

The admissions requirements for the Clinical Psychology MA concentration include taking and passing the following courses (course numbers are for WKU courses only; courses taken at other universities will have a different numbering system):

  • PSY 210 / PSYS 210 Research Methods in Psychology
  • PSY 211 / PSYS 211 Research Methods in Psychology Lab
  • PSY 301 / PSYS 301 Statistics in Psychology
  • PSY 440 / PSYS 440 Abnormal Psychology or PSYS 450 Psychology of Personality

Other courses that would be helpful in a student's preparation for the study of clinical psychology at the graduate level include the following.

Recommended psychology courses for the freshman and sophomore include:

  • PSY 199 / PSYS 199 Introduction to Developmental Psychology
  • PSY 250 Adjustment and Personal Growth

Other recommended upper level psychology courses, in order of relevance to clinical or counseling psychology, include:

  • PSY 455 Introduction to Clinical Practice of Psychology
  • PSYS 450 Psychology of Personality
  • PSY 440 / PSYS 440 Abnormal Psychology
  • PSYS 361 Psychological Tests and Measurements
  • PSYS 480 Behavioral Neuroscience
  • PSY 390 Field Experience in Psychology (one or two semesters)
  • PSY 410 / PSYS 410 Psychology of Learning
  • PSY 442 Beginning Skills in Psychological Interviewing
  • PSY 443 Behavior Modification
  • PSY 490 / PSYS 490 Readings, Research or Special Projects in Psychology

Recommended non-psychology courses which meet general education guidelines include:

  • SOCL 100 Introductory Sociology
  • COMM 145 Fundamentals of Speech (Department of Communication)

Clinical psychologists may work in hospitals, community clinics, private practice, or in universities. They interview clients, give psychological tests, and do psychotherapy with individual clients, couples or families. Clinical psychologists assist both children and adults. A master's degree (two years) or a doctorate degree (four or five years plus a pre-doctoral internship) is required.

Counseling psychologists engage in many of the activities of psychologists. They are also trained to assist individuals with educational or vocational problems and some counseling psychologists work in college counseling centers. A master's degree or a doctorate is required.

The above list is presented for consideration in your educational-vocational planning by the clinical psychology faculty at WKU.


Related Links




Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 11/13/18