Physics and Astronomy
Western Kentucky University
1906 College Heights Blvd #11077
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1077
Graduate Fellowships Available for STEM MS Program in Homeland Security
Western Kentucky University (Bowling Green, KY) announces the availability of seven Graduate Fellowships to begin in the Fall 2012 for incoming MS students in the STEM Homeland Security program. These 1.5-year $41,400 fellowships cover tuition plus a $1,400 monthly stipend, and funding for conference and summer internship participation. Applicants must have completed B.S. in STEM disciplines in order to enroll into this multidisciplinary program that prepares science professionals and technology leaders for careers in Homeland Security, an emerging cross-cutting discipline.
The fellowship funding is $41,400 total for 1.5 years for a full-time Master's student. It includes tuition and stipend $1,400/month. In addition, each fellowship recipient must attend one Career Development Conference in Washington, D.C. during their tenure (travel cost is included into the fellowship funding), and participate in the ten-week summer research internship (travel funding will be provided).
Award recipients accepted into the WKU HS-STEM graduate program will be required to meet the DHS standards such as:
- Must be U.S. Citizen.
- Must have cumulative GPA of 3.30 or higher on 4.00 scale and must maintain it over all academic terms. Students whose GPA falls below 3.0 in any one semester or quarter will forfeit the balance of their award.
- Must attend the annual DHS HS-STEM Career Development Conference in Washington, D.C. during the first year of their award. Failure to attend the Conference will cause forfeiture of the award.
- As the condition of receiving the Fellowship award, students must sign agreement that they will make and honor the commitment to provide at least one year of service at a DHS-approved HS-STEM venue. In the case of not complying with this condition, students must forfeit the award.
How to Apply
Potential students should apply for the HS-STEM Fellowship together with their regular application for graduate studies in the WKU Homeland Security program.
The WKU graduate admission requirements and online application forms are available at the WKU Graduate Studies website.
To apply for the HS-STEM Fellowship, please email the following documents to Prof. Ivan Novikov, WKU Department of Physics and Astronomy, email@example.com:
- Letter of application.
- Describe how you meet the DHS standards for the HS-STEM Fellowship.
- Describe STEM research area(s) that you are interested in.
- Describe your career goals after you receive your degree.
- Include any other information you feel is pertinent.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume.
- Two letters of recommendation.
Students selected for the DHS HS-STEM Fellowship will be notified together with the program’s admission notification.
Questions may be directed to Prof. Ivan Novikov, Department of Physics and Astronomy, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 270-745-4357.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,