Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Topics for Explanation (FAQs Page 2)

PDC Topics for Explanation (FAQs, Part 2)





The process of starting a project

The first step is submitting an SR. If you aren't sure about the dollar figure, you can still initiate the process in the same fashion. If you have questions about filling out the form, need a blank form, or have general questions, you can always call Planning, Design, and Construction at 745-8708.

The electronic version of the SR form can be found online on PDC's FORMS page.  The form can be filled out electronically but must be printed and sent to PDC through campus mail, or saved (save as) and sent via e-mail to  Hard copies of the Service Request form are still available in several locations on campus or can be requested by calling 745-8708.

Once the SR form is received, the PDC Senior Project Manager for Renovations assigns it to a project manager (PM) based on current workloads, areas of expertise, and prior knowledge of the project scope. So, if you speak to a project manager prior to submitting a Service Request, please note that when you fill out your SR form.

The PM will set an appointment with the contact person on the SR to go over the scope of work of the project as well as to visit the job site to understand full detail of the scope of work of the project. At this time, the PM may invite contractors so they can get details for their estimates.

There are some instances that because of the magnitude of the project, it is required to file a field project with the state. If that is the case, the field project package must be prepared and submitted to the state inspector for his review and approval prior to the project start. The assigned Project Manager will work with the state inspector to prepare and submit the proper forms.  

Approval process for designs and change of use

Once you and your Project Manager have determined a scope of work, written details and drawings may be presented for signature by the responsible party in your department to indicate final approval before construction begins.

Making changes to the scope after contracts are in place or after work has begun can increase the cost of a project and delay completion. This is why we ask that all details be nailed down prior to approval to eliminate change orders.

If you are proposing the usage type of a space be changed, your department will need to acquire approval from the Scheduling Application Coordinator for Astra. PDC will typically provide you with a floor plan requiring signatures of your department head or dean as well as the Astra coordinator. Examples of change in usage are changing a classroom into offices or vice versa, absorbing lobby space into offices, or creating retail space.

Approval Process for Funding and Funds Request

When you request an estimate for your Service Request, an electronic estimate will be sent to the person listed on the SR. To approve the estimate, you should respond by email. Once your Project Manager receives your approval, the original SR will be sent for signature approval by the person responsible for the funding account. This signature enables us to request funds in the amount of the estimate which is applied to a unique project index account. If you are using a Foundation account to pay for your project, signatures will be required, and purchase orders for approved funding are processed directly through the Foundation. Please reference the SR number in any correspondence to ensure your information is applied correctly and expeditiously.

Once your project is complete and all billings have been processed, the remaining funds will be released to your original account number. If for any reason during the project your Project Manager foresees that costs will exceed 10% above the estimate, he will notify you so a decision can be made about how to proceed.

When engineers or architects must be hired and associated costs

Some project scopes mandate that registered architects or engineers be hired for design services or to perform a feasibility study. If this is the case, your Project Manager will discuss specific requirements and costs with you. These professional services are an expense that will be charged to your project.

EH&S, Hazardous Materials, and Assuming the role of "Project Manager"

One of the functions your PDC Project Manager performs is liaison to WKU's Environmental Health & Safety Department. Our departments work closely together to help minimize risk of exposing WKU faculty, staff, students, and visitors to hazardous materials like asbestos and lead. When you bypass PDC and perform or ask others to perform renovations or make physical changes in a building, you are considered a University Project Manager by EH&S, and as such assume responsibility for creating any exposures to hazardous materials. Alterations as simple as painting, hanging window shades, removing a chalkboard, or hanging a projector can disturb hazardous materials and expose yourself and others to health risks. Before you consider performing any renovations yourself, you should reference the WKU Environmental Health & Safety department's web page for further details.

Purchasing and Price Contracts 

WKU is required to follow the Kentucky Model Procurement Code. Price contracts are one of the ways the university does that. Pursuant with established price contracts, there are many services for which we are required to use particular vendors. For materials and equipment, we often have a wide variety of price contracts to employ. The Manager for Construction Purchasing is located in the PDC department and your Project Manager will work with him to keep your project within purchasing regulations.

Designing Projects to fit the University, not just the current occupant

While an office, classroom, or break room, etc. may feel like 'yours', it really belongs to the university. Sometimes an occupant may want to modify a space to fit their current needs better, but it may not always be in the best interest of the university. Your Project Manager works with other departments across campus to help ensure the scope of your project will not create a maintenance problem, create a situation that has to be reversed for the next occupant, or violate life safety codes.

Following building codes and Life Safety codes

The university is obligated to adhere to a broad range of building codes and life safety codes. These include egress routes, occupancy loads, ADA accessibility, and much more. The PDC department works with state officials, consultants, and other departments on campus to help create and maintain a safe environment for all of WKU.

PDC coordinates with IT, EH&S, and DFM on projects, and billing through the SR for their services

Your project may incur charges from a variety a sources: contracted work, campus IT, EH&S testing, Facilities Management labor, etc. PDC will consolidate billing for all these sources through your Service Request and unique project index to simplify billing for your department.

Why outside contractors are hired to perform your project 

The university does not keep a staff of tradesmen to perform renovation projects. While Facilities Management employs tradespeople, their function is to perform maintenance tasks. Therefore contractors will be hired to perform your project work, based on the specific needs of the project. The contractors we hire are instructed to work safely, behave courteously, and adhere to university regulations. PDC staff continuously evaluates the performance of contractors we hire. If you experience any problems relating to contractors during your renovation, please inform your Project Manager immediately so they can be addressed.

Why costs seem higher than home renovations

If you have contracted renovations for your home, you may have been reluctant to pay someone else to do work you think you might be able to do yourself if you just had more time. But when you hire a licensed contractor, you are paying for both their time and their expertise. WKU works to find contractors who are experienced in their respective trades and have appropriate training and certifications. To deal with elevated liability related to commercial which includes higher education construction, licensed contractors have additional expenses such as greater insurance costs. These factors can add up to make non-residential renovations seem even more pricey compared to your home repairs.

The difference between Renovation projects and Capital Construction projects

Projects under $100,000 are considered Renovations. Capital Construction can be renovation activities or new construction greater than $100,000.

Services offered by PDC

PDC can help you with a wide variety of needs. This list is only a sampling of typical Renovations: space planning, furniture selection, finishes selections such as flooring and paints, window coverings, construction of walls, installation of cabinets, demolition, chalkboard replacement, A/V upgrades, lighting changes, electrical outlets and networking service additions, new office space development, classroom modifications, or any other physical modification to a university owned or operated facility.

How we help you define your scope and find solutions

Your assigned Project Manager will work with a representative from your requesting department to discuss your needs and possible solutions. PDC has a variety of resources at our disposal and a staff with a broad range of professional experience and education from which to draw. Your PM will present you with one or more possible solutions and work with you to nail down details of your project to meet your department's needs, the university's goals, life safety codes, and budget requirements.



Have a question about something not covered here - click here to send us an e-mail


Planning, Design & Construction
Parking Structure #1, Room 134
Western Kentucky University
1906 College Heights Blvd. #21091
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1091
Office: 270-745-8708
Fax: 270-745-2126



Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 1/29/15