Next Steps for Accessing The Orientation for Online Learners
Topper Orientation Program (TOP) for Online Learners
Congratulations on your acceptance to WKU!
As an online learner, you are eligible to complete TOP for Online Learners. Since your needs are unlike those of an on-campus student, TOP for Online Learners provides information on what to expect at WKU without requiring you to come to campus. You will learn how to set-up your accounts and access resources online. You’ll also receive tips for succeeding at a distance, gain an understanding of financial aid, as it applies to web classes, and more!
This page provides additional information about the orientation process for degree-seeking online learners.
Who is eligible to complete TOP for Online Learners?
- All students with campus location "web," including:
- Transfer students with campus location "web" should also plan to complete this version of TOP, as it speaks to specific needs of online learners
- New WKU students with campus location "web"
- Returning WKU students who have been readmitted and have a campus location of "web"
Students with campus location "web" are not required to come to campus for orientation, however, if you wish to attend a face-to-face orientation, you may do so. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org about different orientation options.
Step 1: Accessing TOP for Online Learners
TOP for Online Learners is housed in Blackboard. It is a non-credit course that is designed to provide you with practical, hands-on experience using Blackboard, and it will also introduce you to support resources designed to help you succeed! WKU Online Learning will enroll you in this course and reach out with additional information. In fact, you may have already heard from us!
Look-up Your NetID
- The first step toward accessing the orientation is looking-up your NetID on the IT Account Management page at https://www.wku.edu/it/accounts/manage/. You will be required to fill in your last name, birth date, and last four digits of your social security number.
Step 2: Login To Blackboard
When the registration period begins for new students, you will be able to login to
Blackboard to access the orientation. You can find your registration date on the Registrar's Office website, under "Registration Guide" in the left hand menu.
- Go to https://blackboard.wku.edu
- Using your NetID and password, login. If you experience any difficulties logging in, please call 270-745-7000 (the IT Help Desk) or visit https://www.wku.edu/it/helpdesk/ to chat online with a tech support professional.
Step 3: Complete TOP for Online Learners
- Once in Blackboard, click the “My Courses” tab on the top menu. You will see a course called XT 100: Orientation for Online Learners
- Review each section of the orientation. Click on “Mark Reviewed” at the end of each section to earn your badge, and receive credit for completing that section of the orientation.
- At the end of the orientation, you will have an opportunity to download a resource guide. We strongly recommend that you download and keep on hand, as it provides information about course and major requirements, as well as success strategies.
Here's what you can expect, once you've officially completed TOP, and downloaded your resource guide:
- Within 48 hours after completing the Orientation, your TOP hold, which was preventing you from registering for classes will be lifted.
- You will receive your advisor's contact information.
- Once you speak with your advisor, you will be officially cleared to register for classes.
- You will also be connected with a student success coach for online learners who will be there to guide you along the way, and answer any questions you may have.
Questions or difficulty logging in?
We're here to help! Please call us at 270-745-5173 or 270-745-3028 or email email@example.com.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,