Orientation for Online Learners
As a WKU student, you have access to services and helpful resources to make your distance learning experience more successful.
- Admission - Undergraduate Students
- The Admissions Office provides information for undergraduate students on admission requirements. If you are a beginning freshman, transfer student, readmit student, or visiting student you can apply online and learn of any additional paperwork required for admission to the University. Visit: www.wku.edu/admissions, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Call: (270) 745-2251.
- Admission - Graduate Students
- The Office of Graduate Studies and Research processes all admission applications for graduate students and provides information on graduate programs, thesis guidelines, research grants, and graduate assistantship opportunities. Visit: www.wku.edu/graduate, Email: email@example.com Call: (270) 745-2446.
- Adult Learner Services
- WKU Real provides services designed around the needs of adult learners. Whether you're returning to school or beginning your journey, WKU is committed to making the process as easy as possible. We understand that adults have busy lives and often feel pulled in many directions. Visit: www.wku.edu/real, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Call: (270) 745-3575.
- Academic Advising & Retention Center (AARC) provides a wide range of academic services for undergraduate students, including advising of all Exploratory/ Generally Undecided students, and helps students plan for their potential major. Graduate students should contact the advisor for their particular program or call (270) 745-5173. Undergraduates can learn more by visiting www.wku.edu/advising/, emailing email@example.com or calling (270) 745-5065.
- Blackboard Tutorials
- The Information Technology Division (IT) provides online tutorials designed for students to assist in learning to navigate Blackboard. Visit https://blackboard.wku.edu or call (270) 745-7000.
- You can find out which textbooks are required for your courses and order them online through the College Heights Bookstore. Visit: www.wkustore.com/, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Call 800-444-5155 or (270) 745-2466.
- Career Services
- The Career Services Center is WKU's one-stop shop for all of your career related needs. They can assist you in your job search, help you develop your career portfolio, and choose and understand the internship/co-op process. They can also help you choose the right career path for you. Visit: www.wku.edu/career, Email: email@example.com, Call: (270) 745-3095.
- Directory for Faculty/Staff/Students
- If you need to reach your professor, advisor or a friend, you can refer to the WKU Online Directory for current listings. Visit: https://acsapps.wku.edu/pls/prod/dirpkg.prompt to search by last name or department.
- Disability Services
- SDS assists students with planning pre-admission and pre-enrollment and serves as a liaison with many state agencies including Kentucky Vocational Rehabilitation and the Kentucky Department for the Blind. In addition SDS offers specialty services for visually impaired students, hearing impaired students, alternate learners, and students with mobility and orthopedic limitations. Visit: www.wku.edu/sds/, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Call: (270) 745-5004 or TDD: (270) 745-3030.
- Financial Aid
- Distance learners who are enrolled as half-time or full-time students may qualify for financial aid. Learn more by contacting the WKU Financial Aid Office. Visit: www.wku.edu/financialaid/, Email: email@example.com, Call: (270) 745-2755.
- General Information/Referral for Online Classes
- The Office of Distance Learning provides information regarding admission, program requirements, distance opportunities and resources for distance learners. Visit: www.wku.edu/online/, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Call: (270) 745-5173 or 888-4WKUWEB.
- The Registrar's Office provides copies of official transcripts, processes applications for graduation, provides information on your degree program and more. In addition, you can access a Registration Guide for each semester through the Registrar's Office website. Visit: www.wku.edu/registrar/, Email: email@example.com, Call: (270) 745-3351.
- Independent Learning
- The Office of Independent Learning provides support for nonsemester-based courses. IL courses have open enrollment and can be completed on a flexible schedule. Visit: www.wku.edu/il, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Call: (270) 745-4158.
- Library Services
- As a WKU student you have access to a number of online library resources, including online databases, professional journals, and interlibrary loan. Extended Campus Services provides specialized services to distance learners. Visit: www.wku.edu/online/lib-resources.php, Email: email@example.com, Call: 800-922-9585.
- Online Classes
- The Office of Distance Learning provides support as you apply, register, and take online courses. Distance Learning can answer questions about the process of taking online courses provide assistance using with Blackboard, the course delivery software required for most online courses at WKU, put you in touch with your advisor and point you in the right direction to receive the help you need. Visit: www.wku.edu/online, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Call: (270) 745-5173 or 888-4WKUWEB.
- Orientation for Online Learners
- The Office of Distance Learning provides an Orientation for Online Learners, with topics ranging from "Is Distance Learning for me?" to Admission and Research. Visit: www.wku.edu/online/orientation, Email: email@example.com, Call: (270) 745-5173 or 888-4WKUWEB.
- Social Networking
- The Office of Distance Learning provides several ways for distance learners to get to know one another and stay up-to-date on the latest news in distance learning and availability of student resources. Opportunities include: Online Community for Distance Learners, Facebook and a discussion forum. Visit: www.wku.edu/online/orientation/social-network.php, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Call: (270) 745-5173 or 888-4WKUWEB.
- Student ID Cards
- The WKU ID Center provides Student IDs for distance learners. Visit: www.wku.edu/idcenter/, Email: email@example.com, Call: (270) 745-2417.
- Technology Requirements
- We recommend that students enrolled in online courses have access to certain technology and equipment. Check technology requirements, Internet speed, etc. at www.wku.edu/online/orientation/tech-req.php.
- Technology Support
- There are a number of online tutorials available for WKU students on a variety of topics. You can also call our help desk if you're having issues with Blackboard, Email, TopNet, etc. Visit: www.wku.edu/it/, Call: (270) 745-7000.
- Testing Services
- DL and South Campus Testing Centers provide proctored testing services to online and independent learning students by facilitating testing services at one of the Bowling Green locations, or matching the student with a pre-approved proctoring service close to their home. Visit: www.wku.edu/testing, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Call (270) 745-5122 or 800-544-2280.
- Tuition and Fees
- The Bursar’s Office provides up-to-date information on tuition and fees, billing, payment plans, etc. Visit: www.wku.edu/bursar/, Email: email@example.com, Call: (270) 745-6381.
- Online Tutoring Sessions are available through The Learning Center at WKU. Whether you are a distance learner, online student, or just feel like working on your courses from the comfort of your own space, Online Tutoring Sessions will provide quality academic assistance for a variety of undergraduate classes. Visit: www.wku.edu/tlc/index.php, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Call: (270) 745-6254.
- Writing Center
- The Online Writing Center provides feedback from trained tutors to help students refine their writing. When students submit their paper for review, along with assignment information, they will receive feedback by email. Each email will contain your marked-up paper, with a link to a video for additional explanation. Students also have the option of scheduling a phone or video chat session, making it convenient for you to receive the assistance you need at a distance! To upload your paper, visit: acadmedia.wku.edu/writingcenter/online_writing_center.php, or for additional information email the Writing Center at email@example.com or call 270-745-5173.
Proceed to "Frequently Asked Questions"
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,