Financial Aid: Getting it and Keeping it
Financial Aid: Eligibility Requirements and the Application Process
Financial Aid, as it applies to graduate students, includes scholarships and educational
loans. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements. General eligibility requirements
can be reviewed on the Federal Student Aid website at https://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility/basic-criteria. Here are a few basics to keep in mind:
- Your eligibility is determined through an application process. So, your first step
is to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Even if you doubt your eligibility, apply. Approximately 90% of those who apply
qualify for some form of aid. A step-by-step guide through the application process
can be found at https://www.wku.edu/financialaid/applyfa.php.
- Distance learning courses are treated the same as face-to-face courses. If your application
is approved, you may elect to take web, on demand or face-to-face courses. Distance
courses through On Demand require same semester completion and an On Demand Agreement (https://www.wku.edu/financialaid/il.php).
- You must be classified as a degree-seeking student to qualify.
- Certificate Program Eligibility: As a general rule, if you are seeking a graduate
certificate (certificate only; no degree), the program must require at least 8 credit
hours, 10 weeks of instruction and be clearly tied to a profession. For additional
information on certificate eligibility, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Certificates may also be earned in conjunction with your master's degree, allowing
you to earn two credentials at the same time.
- If you are pursuing a certificate in conjunction with your master's program, please
contact The Graduate School to ensure your master's program is listed as your primary program of study. Financial aid will be awarded based on the primary degree listed.
- You must be registered at least half-time to receive aid (4.5 credit hours for grad
- The WKU School Code for the FAFSA application is 002002.