Facebook Pixel Advising Expectations | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

The Importance of Advising


It is no mistake that advising is first in the orientation, as it is one of the most important pieces of your college career. Your advisor will help you navigate degree requirements and stay on track as you move toward graduation. As a graduate student, you are required to submit various forms as you progress through your program of study. This is one of the ways in which your advisor will assist you. He/she is also a great resource in learning about the processes and policies at WKU. 

Advising and Required Documents

Program of Study: Graduate students are required to file a Program of Study, which is a graduate degree program, with The Graduate School prior to earning 12 credit hours. The degree program is developed in consultation with your advisor, and must be approved by them. Those who list thesis/specialist project/dissertation courses (599, 699, 799) on the Program of Study must also specify research committee members and topic selection on page two of the form OR complete a Committee & Topic Selection form prior to enrolling in any of these courses.

Program of Study Change Form: Should you need to make a change to the classes listed on your Program of Study form, you will file a Program of Study Change Form with the original course listing and the replacement course. 

College Reader Approval & Copyright Permission: This is required for thesis/specialist project/dissertation publication.

Committee & Topic Selection (Thesis/Specialist Project/Dissertation) (Form G): For use by existing students who did not submit their committee membership & topic selection on their Program of Study.  This form must be submitted prior to enrollment in any 599, 699, or 799 course. All committee members must have graduate faculty status. 

Application for Graduation: The Application for Graduation must be submitted through TopNet the semester prior to degree completion.

*Students seeking teacher certification or rank change should contact the Office of Teacher Certification for further requirements, 270-745-4300.  

Required Forms and Documents can be downloaded at wku.edu/graduate/documents.

Remember, if you are a online learner and need to meet by phone or online, your advisor is happy to assist, just let them know!


Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 4/23/19