Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Online Orientation

students studyingAcademic Progress

Whether you're new to graduate school or returning to finish your degree, the transition can be challenging. It's important to understand WKU policies as they relate to academic progress, GPA requirements, academic probation and financial aid eligibility.  To be eligible for continuous enrollment without being placed on academic probation, you must meet set scholastic standards for the grade point average in all graduate courses taken at WKU.  You must maintain a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) for all graduate courses taken at WKU and those graduate courses transferred to WKU to fulfill graduate program requirements. This minimum grade point average of 3.0 applies to both the major and the cumulative (overall) GPA to earn a degree or certificate. If a your overall GPA falls below 3.0, you'll receive a letter of academic warning, and will have one additional full-time semester or the equivalent (9 hours) to remove the academic probation by attaining a 3.0 cumulative GPA. If your GPA remains below a 3.0 after completing the one semester of full-time course work or the equivalent (9 hours), you will be required to submit a written academic plan and apply for readmission to the program. Additional details can be found in the Graduate Catalog, which is available at

Always remember, you are not alone - there are support services available for face-to-face and online students, including online tutoring, research and writing assistance, time management tools, financial planning services and more at

Know Where To Go

  • Class related questions should be directed to your professor.
  • Policy, procedure and paperwork questions should be directed to The Graduate School at 270-745-2446 or
  • Technology issues, including issues with Blackboard, email, TopNet and myWKU, should be directed to the IT Helpdesk by visiting or calling 270-745-7000. Please note: Should you encounter problems with Blackboard, please notify your professor immediately and save your HelpDesk ticket. Most professors will work with you if they know what has occurred and know you have tried to resolve the issue.
  • Academic support can be found through the Student Resource Portal at

clickable button to go to the next page

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 4/8/15