Sixty semester hours are required for both the thesis and non-thesis option. The research tool requirement (3 hours) may be met by successful completion of SLP 500: Research Methodology in Communication Disorders (or equivalent). Additionally, the student must complete at least 400 clock hours of clinical experience by graduation.
Required Core Courses (40 hours)
- SLP 500: Research Methodology in CSD
- SLP 501: Early Intervention in Speech Language Pathology
- SLP 502: Motor Speech Disorders
- SLP 504: Seminar in Child Language
- SLP 506: Dysfluency
- SLP 507: Aphasia
- SLP 508: Voice Disorders
- SLP 509: Speech Science
- SLP 511: Neurology for Speech and Language
- SLP 512: Seminar in Phonology
- SLP 513: Cognitive Linguistic Disorders
- SLP 514: Dysphagia
- SLP 515: Rehab Audiology
- SLP 579: Professional Issues (1 credit hour)
Clinical Courses (8 Hours)
- SLP 588: Clinical Methods in Speech-Language Pathology
- SLP 590: Clinical Internship
- We refer to this course as Summer Bootcamp and require that you come to our campus
for approximately 6 weeks (typically the end of June and entire month of July) the
summer following the fall you begin the program.
- For example, if you begin the program in Fall 2014, then you would come to campus in the Summer 2015
- There is no other option for this. It is a requirement of the program that you come to our campus for this internship.
- We refer to this course as Summer Bootcamp and require that you come to our campus for approximately 6 weeks (typically the end of June and entire month of July) the summer following the fall you begin the program.
- SLP 591: Clinical Externship (prerequisites: SLP 588 and SLP 590)
- Students will enroll 3 times at 2 credit hours each or 2 times at 3 credit hours each.
- Students are responsible for locating and securing their own externship placement sites.
Elective Courses (9-12 hours)
In addition to courses outlined above, students must complete 9-12 approved elective credit hours.
- SLP 518: Advanced AAC (Alternative and Augmentative Communication Modalities)
- If a student demonstrates competency in this area from an undergraduate course then the student is not required to complete this course.
- However they must complete a 3 credit elective in place of this course
Please note the following as you plan your program of study:
- Students may transfer up to 12 hours from another graduate program to fulfill program requirements (if courses meet transfer requirements).
- Applicants must understand that externship opportunities may not be available in the
geographic region of choice.
- In the event they are not, students must be willing to relocate to obtain externship
- Externships CANNOT be completed in California nor will contracts be sought for placements there.
- In the event they are not, students must be willing to relocate to obtain externship placement.
- For additional information visit the M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology page.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,