Both thesis and non-thesis options require students to complete a minimum of 30 hours of coursework and have a supervised research experience. The two programs differ in number of courses required and the emphasis on research.
The M.S. in Biology program offers thesis and non-thesis plans. Thesis options (Plan A) comprise Biology, Biochemistry, and Environmental Science. Non-thesis options (Plan B) comprise online, traditional in- residence, and Peace Corps Master's International (32 hours required for both the M.S. in Biology and Graduate Certificate in Organizational Leadership).
Required Core Courses (8 hours)
- BIOL 500: Introduction to Graduate Studies and Research in Biology (First Year) (3 hours)
- BIOL 598: Graduate Seminar (Completed in Final Term) (2 hours)
- BIOL 516: Investigations/Biology (3 hours)
Selected Elective Courses (22 Hours)
In addition to courses outlines above, students must complete at least 22 hours of elective courses. Online courses may be selected with advisor approval from the list below:
- A list of online elective courses can be reviewed Here.
Please note the following as you plan your program of study:
- Additional course options are available on campus. Please click HERE to see the full schedule of classes.
- Students may transfer up to 12 hours from another graduate program or institution to fulfill program requirements (if courses meet transfer requirements and advisor approval).
- For more information on the face-to-face, thesis option, please click HERE
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,