M.A.E. in Middle Grades
Admission Requirements(criteria vary, depending on the student’s undergraduate institution and GPA)
- WKU Graduates
- Applicants who are alumni of WKU teacher preparation programs must submit a current, valid teaching certificate or Statement of Eligibility for Middle Grades (Grades 5-9).
- Graduates of Higher Education Institutes other than WKU, including Out-of-State Graduates
- Applicants with undergraduate degrees from accredited universities must have a 2.75 GPA for all previous undergraduate coursework and a 3.0 GPA for previous graduate coursework or qualifying GAP/GRE scores and must have or be eligible for a teaching certificate for Middle Grades (Grades 5-9). A copy of the certificate or statement of eligibility must be submitted with the application.
Applicants whose certificates have expired may be admitted, but they may enroll for only six hours before they must apply to the EPSB for reissued certificates. After completion of six hours, a student admitted with an expired certificate must submit a copy of the reissued certificate before being allowed to register for any additional courses.
Please Note: Non-degree Planned Fifth-Year/Rank II Middle Grades Education for Teacher Leader candidates follow the same program requirements as the MAE candidates. However, the admission requirements are notably different. Planned Fifth-Year/Rank II candidates must have or be eligible for a teaching certificate for Middle Grades Education (Grades 5-9). No GRE or minimum GPA is required. The Planned Fifth-Year/Rank II program does not lead to a degree.
Non-Degree Planned Fifth Year/Rank II for Teacher Leaders
- Available in elementary, middle, and secondary education programs
- Designed for students who do not meet the admission requirements of a degree program
- Results in Rank II salary classification in Kentucky, renews the teaching certificate, and permits entry into a Planned Sixth-Year/Rank I program
- Total Program Hours: 32