This master of arts degree is an interdisciplinary program of study that provides students with the tools to lead communities toward social justice and sustainability. It is designed especially for students inclined toward the humanities, social sciences, and related fields.
- Students take a core set of courses that provide interdisciplinary grounding in social justice and sustainability, economic and policy issues, leadership issues, community-building, and community-based research.
- Students may focus their elective courses on environmental sustainability, women's & gender studies, inter–generational studies, or other issues—depending on their interests, on availability of courses, and in consultation with their advisor.
- Students in the MA in Social Responsibility & Sustainable Communities will cultivate the skills and knowledge necessary to be economic, political, and social change agents for more just and sustainable communities.
- The Master of Arts in Social Responsibility & Sustainable Communities is learning in action. As a student in this program you’ll have the opportunity to conduct an action research project to understand issues relevant to social justice and sustainability and identify possible solutions.
- You’ll also participate in a unique experiential learning program where you’ll meet community members engaged in work relevant to these core principals. Your master’s program will culminate in a conference style symposium where you’ll share your research and learn from that of your peers and faculty.
Department Contact Information
Cohort Programs Specialist
Dr. Jane Olmsted
SRSC Coordinator & Advisor
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,