Application and all supporting materials (i.e., transcripts, GRE scores) need to be received in Graduate Studies by the dates listed below to ensure adequate time for departmental review. Applicants can apply online at www.wku.edu/graduate/, or may download a printable application.
- Fall Semester:
- June 15
- Spring Semester:
- November 15
- Summer Term:
- Contact History Department
Please note: To be eligible for any type of financial aid or a graduate assistantship, you must be admitted in good standing to a degree program. Non-degree seeking students are ineligible for financial aid and graduate assistantships.
Admission Guidelines and Requirements for the History M.A. Program
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Official transcripts from undergraduate institution, if degree granting school is not WKU
- Application and Fee must be submitted to the Graduate Studies Office
- A GRE Verbal Reasoning section score of at least 500 (prior to August 2011) or 150 (after August 2011)
- A GRE Quantitative Reasoning section score that meets the University minimum for admission
- Completion of at least 18 undergraduate credit-hours in history with at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of at least a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- A brief (approximately 750 words) personal statement that discusses why they wish to pursue a Master of Arts degree in History
- A sample research paper (at least five pages long)
Standardized Examination Scores
All degree-seeking students must submit appropriate standardized test scores regardless of their undergraduate grade point average. Standardized test scores must be received by the Office of Graduate Studies prior to admission. The admission decision will be based upon both the transcript grade point average and the test score. Registration materials for the GRE are available by logging on to www.gre.org.
Admission decisions are based upon both the undergraduate grade point average and the GRE General Test Score.
The History Department will admit students twice a year on a competitive and academic merit-based basis. The History Department may limit the number of students admitted to maintain the quality and size of the program's student body.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,