hild Studies is a Bachelor of Science degree. This four year degree requires 120 hours of course credit in general education or Colonnade requirements, courses in the major (51 credit hours) and courses in the minor.
(Please note - of the 120 hours needed to graduate, 42 of those must be at the 300 level or above!)
Below is a list of courses required in the Child Studies concentration:
Child Studies Major Requirements
- HMD 211 (formerly FACS 211): Human Nutrition (Offered each semester)
- FACS 180: Foundations in FCS (Face to Face Fall; online Spring and Summer)
- FACS 191: Child Development (Face to face and online Fall and Spring; online Summer)
- FACS 192: Working with Young Children & Families (Offered each semester)
- FACS 292: Diversity in Early Childhood Programs (Fall only, online)
- FACS 294: Assessment in Young Children (Fall face to face, and Spring online)
- FACS 299: Administration of Early Childhood Programs (Spring only, online)
- FACS 310: Management of Family Resources (Fall and Spring)
- FACS 311: Family Relations (Fall and Spring)
- FACS 312: Ethics for Family Life (online Spring)
- FACS 380: Professional Presentation Techniques (Face to face Fall; online Summer)
- FACS 399: Implications of Research (Fall only)
- FACS 493: Family Life Education (Face to face Spring; online Summer)
- FACS 494: Parenting Strategies (Face to face FALL: online Winter, Spring, Summer)
- FACS 499: Issues in Family & Child Studies (online Spring)
FACS 393 Play & Child Development
FACS 496 Challenging Behaviors (Offered online, Fall)
Major elective -- Below are classes that could be selected as the major elective. This is not an exhaustive list.
- FACS 391 Risk and Resilience
- FACS 393 Play and Child Development (if not used above)
- FACS 395 Child and Family stress (Offered online Spring and Summer, also through WKU On-Demand)
- FACS 410 Internship
- FACS 422 Adolescent Psychology (Offered online, Spring)
- FACS 496 Challenging Behaviors (if not used above) (Offered online, Fall)
- FACs 497 Family Home Visiting (Offered online, Spring)
A Grade of "C" or better is required in all courses in the major.
Please Note: In addition to the courses listed above, the Child Studies Major requires a minor and 44 hours as part of the Colonnade (formerly General Education) program. Minors, as well as select Colonnade courses, are available online.Please work with your advisor or support staff in WKU Online to identify online options.
There are also several minors available online. Please talk with an advisor to develop a program that best meets your needs.
Recommended Sequence of Courses
Certain courses may be offered on a rotating basis, so please plan your program of study carefully. Contact Dr. Darbi Haynes-Lawrence at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information on course offerings.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,