Office of International Programs
Spring 2019 International Year of Cuba Events
- Lauren Reyes
- Tuesday, March 26th, 2019
WKU will continue its celebration of the 2018-19 International Year of Cuba with several upcoming events, including two taking place this week:
- Ice Cream and Capitalism: Doing Business in the New Cuba, Thursday, March 28, 4:00pm (Grise Hall Auditorium). With new leadership and a new constitution, is it business as usual in Cuba? A presentation by visiting scholar Dr. James Early, Director of Cultural studies and Communication at the Center for Folklife Programs and Cultural Studies at the Smithsonian Institution.
- Renesito Avich: Tres Cubano Guitarist, Thursday, March 28, 7:00pm (FAC 189). Latin Grammy Winner Renesito Avich will give a concert featuring the Tres Cubano, a traditional form of the guitar in Cuba.
Other upcoming events include:
- Harrison Distinguished Lecture: Dr. Adrian Burgos, Jr., Tuesday, April 9, 7:30pm (GRH Auditorium). Dr. Burgos will present “Latinos and Baseball’s Integration Story: Minnie Miñoso, Roberto Clemente, and Race in America's Game."
- Cultural Enhancement Series: Obsesión, Monday, April 15, 7:30pm (Van Meter Hall). Magia López and Alexey Rodriguez formed hip-hop duo Obsesión in 1996 and quickly gained fame in Cuba both for their messages of social activism and the Afro-Cuban consciousness of their rap verses.
- Entrepreneur Speaker Series: Luis Fuentes, Tuesday, April 16, 4:00pm (Grise Hall 238). Mr. Fuentes will discuss his experience as a Cuban entrepreneur in Louisville.
- Evening of Dance, Friday, April 26, 8:00pm (Russell Miller Theater). Two Cuban guest artists (Roberto Sifontes and Juan Enrique Sanchez) will present Cuban folkloric dance styles and contemporary ballet. Tickets available here.
For additional information, visit wku.edu/iyo or contact email@example.com.