LPN to ASN PROGRAM
MISCELLANEOUS ASN INFO
South Campus Services
LPN to ASN
Admission Requirements Page
"Committed to Caring and Striving for Excellence."
The ASN Program is a limited enrollment program based on the availability of faculty and clinical resources. Admission is selective and competitive. There are no restrictions regarding age, sex, race, religious persuasion, marital status, or qualified person with disability. However, please note the Core Performance Standards necessary for a career in nursing. Admission to the college or university does not guarantee admission to the ASN Program. A separate application must be submitted to the ASN Program. Deadlines for ASN Program application are February 1 for Fall admission and September 1 for Spring admission. Applicants are admitted Fall and Spring semesters to the WKU South Campus in Bowling Green.
Persons desiring to enter the ASN Program must fulfill the following requirements:
- Complete applications for admission to both Western Kentucky University (if not already enrolled) and the ASN Program.
- Take the required admission assessment test (see details below).
- Participate in an admission interview process if requested.
- Applicants with less than 10 earned university credit hours must submit ACT examination results with ASN application.
- Applicants with 10 or more earned university credit hours must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or greater.
- Grade point average for the applicant with either an earned bachelor's degree or higher or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) will be calculated using only the ASN Program's required non-nursing courses.
- Applicants who have completed college courses/degrees at institutions other than WKU must submit a copy of his/her transcript to the ASN Program with application as well as request an official transcript be sent to the WKU Office of Admissions, Potter Hall, Room 117, 270.745.2551 in order to receive transfer credit for required courses.
- Students who have obtained a minimum grade of "C" in Anatomy & Physiology more than 5 years prior to application to the nursing program must either retake the course or demonstrate current competency by passing a challenge exam. Currently practicing LPNs will be exempt from the five year limitation for Anatomy & Physiology.
- LPNs must submit a transcript for their LPN program and a copy of their current LPN license.
Applicants must be officially admitted into the ASN Program prior to enrolling in any nursing courses. Students may choose to complete any of the required general education courses prior to admission to the program.
It is recommended that applicants with 10 or more college hours have at least one required science course completed in order to increase their competitiveness for admission.
Admission Assessment Test
The HESI Admission Assessment Exam evaluates general knowledge in areas of Math, Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, Grammar, and Anatomy and Physiology to assess each student's strengths and weaknesses. The admission assessment exam must be taken prior to the ASN Program application deadline because exam scores are utilized during the admissions process. Students may take the exam only once per application period. The exam may be taken again during a subsequent application period up to a maximum of three attempts. The highest scored exam (if applicable) will be utilized during the admission process.
The exam is administered at the Counseling and Testing Center, located in Potter Hall, Room 409 on the WKU main campus. They are open Monday - Friday 8:00 am until 4:30 pm. The exam takes 3 hours so be sure to schedule a time when you will have 3 hours available and that the testing center will be open the entire 3 hours. Refer to the exam registration link for testing details and exam fee.
Register Here (http://www.registerblast.com/wku).
An optional study guide (Evolve Reach Testing and Remediation Admission Assessment Exam Review, 3rd Edition - ISBN: 1416056351) may be purchased from the WKU bookstore. Please note, the study guide covers material NOT on the ASN version of the exam. Please focus on Reading Comprehension, Anatomy & Physiology and Math.
NOTE: If for any reason you cannot take the Exam at the Counseling and Testing Center, please contact Lynnita Glass at email@example.com, or 270.780.2506, for an alternative. You can preview alternative sites at www.prometric.com. There is an additional $60 administration fee for this option.
Upon acceptance into the ASN program, students will be required to provide the following information/documentation:
- Personal Health Insurance
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Immunization Records including titer results for mumps, measles, rubella, varicella and hepatitis B
- Annual Tuberculine (TB) skin test
- Current medical history
- Completed medical exam
- Annual Influenza Vaccination
- Cardioplumonary Resucitation Certification (CPR)
- Urine Drug Screen performed at WKU's Student Health Center
- Criminal background investigation
Additionally, there may be certifications, training seminars, or other requirements specified by the program, facility, or clinical agency that students must meet in order to be eligible for a clinical experience. Students will also be responsible for purchasing uniforms as described in the student handbook and any necessary nursing equipment. Details regarding each of the above items will be distributed to students upon admission to the ASN Program.
English as a Second Language
As nursing involves public safety, requirements are in place to ensure that nursing students can understand, read and speak English well enough to safely exchange written and verbal information with other health care providers and with patients from a wide range of backgrounds.
If you speak English as a second language please consult the nursing website for TOEFL requirements and consult with the program coordinator to be sure that you have the appropriate documentation for entry into the WKU Nursing Program. More information regarding the TOEFL requirements.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,