School of Nursing Information for:
Back to CHHS Home
ADVICE FROM OUR STUDENTS
Can YOU be a Nurse?
Generally, to be a nurse in the U.S., there are a few requirements that you should know about.
1. You must be proficient in the English Language. At WKU School of Nursing, we check this using the TOFEL exam. See our requirements here.
2. You must graduate from a qualifying nursing program. Our BSN and ASN programs both meet this requirement
3. You must pass the NCLEX exam after graduation to obtain an RN license (our student's success rate is over 95% for the BSN program, and over 85% for the ASN program).
4. You must pass a criminal background check and have no prior felony convictions, and no misdemeanors related to the practice of nursing. This last is determined on a case by case basis, if you have questions about this, please contact us and we will review your information.
5. You must have a valid Social Security number.
6. You must have the minimum physical, mental and emotional capabilities to perform nursing tasks in a variety of clinical settings. See more information.
WKU School of Nursing General Information
Program Specific Information
Associate of Nursing (ASN)
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
First Step - Apply for Admission at WKU
Second Step - Program Application, see program specific webpages for additional application information
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,