Cravens honored for playing in 60th straight WKU Faculty-Staff Golf Tournament
|Author: WKU News|
Date: Friday, July 14th, 2017
A special milestone was celebrated Friday morning as Dr. Raymond Cravens, retired WKU administrator and faculty member, was recognized for playing in the annual Faculty-Staff Golf Tournament for 60 consecutive years.
Steve Rey, director of Intramural-Recreational Sports, presented Dr. Cravens with a plaque before the start of the 60th annual tournament at Cross Winds Golf Course in Bowling Green.
“For someone to play in every tournament is special,” Rey said.
Dr. Cravens, a WKU graduate (A.B. degree, 1952; master’s, 1955) who joined the faculty in 1958 as an associate professor of political science, has seen the golf tournament and the university change in the past 60 years.
“I’ve enjoyed good health,” said Dr. Cravens, who also served as professor of government, Dean of the College, Dean of the Faculty, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dean of Public Service and International Programs during his career at WKU. “I thought I would play again this year to keep up the record.”
He recalled that the tournament began when Coach Frank Griffin, the first director of intramurals at WKU, invited “a small cadre of people” for a round of golf at Indian Hills Country Club followed by a cookout at his farm off Morgantown Road.
Dr. Cravens was paired with WKU football coach Nick Denes in that first tournament, a two-person scramble. Somehow, they ended up winning. “Coach Denes was a very colorful fellow,” he said. “He would tell a different joke on every hole and kept everyone entertained.”
Participation in the tournament grew the next year and continued to grow as WKU’s enrollment and the number of faculty and staff increased in the 1960s.
“What began with a small group of faculty-staff has grown into the longest-standing program hosted by Intramural-Recreational Sports at WKU,” Rey said.
The tournament also has been played at Barren River State Park, Paul Walker Golf Course, Hobson Grove (now the Golf Course at Riverview) and Cross Winds Golf Course.
Proceeds from the Faculty-Staff Golf Tournament support the student development fund in Intramural-Recreational Sports. Since 2007, the tournament has raised nearly $80,000 to provide scholarships and to help IMREC students attend conferences, participate in workshops and complete certification programs.
“We’ve taken our golf tournament and turned it into a great fundraiser for students on our campus,” Rey said.
Contact: Steve Rey, (270) 745-6060.
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- JUNE 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- MAY 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS July 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Online Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Innovative Teaching & Learning
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Training Resources & Event Planning Services
History will be made on Nov. 29 when WKU will get its first chapter of SALUTE, a national honor society for student veterans. Seven charter members will be inducted into SALUTE at 5 p.m. in the Veterans Resource Center, 410 Tate Page Hall.
Three alumni from WKU’s Department of Geography and Geology who work for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) have been assigned to Puerto Rico to assist in post-hurricane recovery efforts.
The Department of Student Financial Assistance will be closed from Wednesday, Nov. 22nd through Friday, Nov. 25th. The office will reopen on Monday, Nov. 27th.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,