End of Semester Campus Update from Strategy, Operations and Finance Division
- Susan I. Howarth
- Wednesday, December 9th, 2020
Dear WKU Faculty and Staff,
We are all looking forward to the Holiday Break. In many ways, I am sure that we are glad to have 2020 end, yet we also need to be thankful for and proud of what we have accomplished in the face of adversity. Our successes have resulted from a team effort across the university and the community. I want to thank each of you for your contributions.
Some updates and reminders with the approach of the Holiday Break:
- Human Resources
- The Holiday Break is Monday, December 21, 2020, through Friday, January 1, 2021.
- WKU will not require separating employees to return in January in order to receive holiday pay.
- Full-time benefits eligible employees remain in a fully paid status during this holiday period.
- Contact Human Resources at 745-5360 for assistance.
- Electronic W2s
- If you have not signed up to receive your W-2 electronically, you may do so through TopNet. Accessing your W-2 through TopNet provides more convenience and security than a paper form sent through standard mail.
- Instructions to sign up can be found under “instructions” here: https://www.wku.edu/strategyopfin/payroll/
- Buildings and Lighting in Parking Areas beginning Friday afternoon 12/18/20
- Buildings will be locked over the Holiday Break with access by key or key card.
- DFM staff will coordinate the Holiday Break shutdown with building coordinators, Parking and Transportation, and others to ensure that each building has its own building specific shutdown plan and re-open process.
- Interior lighting will be reduced to the egress levels.
- HVAC systems will be set to maintain the building temperatures at 600 F except where higher temperatures may be required primarily in labs and biology areas.
- Water heaters, drinking fountains, vending machines, and other energy consumers will be shut down in all buildings.
- Lighting in many parking lots, as well as PS1 and PS2, will be reduced except for game days.
- The last guaranteed trash pick-up will be Thursday night, December 17, so please plan accordingly.
- If there are any events or special activities occurring during the Holiday Break that affect buildings or a parking lot, please contact DFM (270-745-3253).
- Energy Conservation, please do your part
- Turn off office/classroom lights, computers, printers, copiers, coffee makers and any idle energy draws. Unplugging the equipment is preferable to turning it off as most electronic equipment continues to use power even when turned off.
- Please do not unplug or power down office telephones or fax machines as important updates are scheduled to be broadcast over the Holiday Break.
- Remember that most chargers and power supplies for laptops, cell phones, and other equipment need to be unplugged as these devices continue to consume power even when not connected to the device.
- If your equipment is plugged into a power strip, simply turn off the switch on the power strip.
- Power down all department computer labs except essential servers that cannot be shut down.
- Defrost and unplug refrigerators used for food snacks in your area.
- Store hours are Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Online orders will be processed throughout the Holiday Break. Shop at www.wkustore.com.
- Closed Christmas Eve and Day (12/24 - 25/20) and New Year’s Eve and Day (12/31/20 - 1/1/21).
- Parking and Transportation – Holiday Break and Winter Term Service
- Winter Term Parking Map is available online
- All student lots (Housing and Commuter) are open; no permit required.
- A Faculty/Staff lots will require a Faculty/Staff permit. All Faculty/Staff permits (FS1, FS2, and FS3) will be honored.
- Parking Structure 3 and Russellville Road West will be closed.
- The Shopping Shuttle will run on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 4PM – 8PM.
- ADA and TopperTaxi on-demand service will be available Monday – Friday, December 14th – 18th from 7:30AM – 4:30PM. Request a ride using TapRide app. For more information, visit www.tapridemobile.com.
- While the University is closed, December 21 – January 1, all lots are open, except for lots reserved in support of basketball event operations.
- Please direct questions to Parking and Transportation Services at 270-745-2361 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal Services
- Mail pickup will be available from 1PM - 3PM on December 21, 22, 30 & 31
- Mail pickup is located in the Service & Supply Building mail center.
- Last day for processing outgoing mail is December 18 at 4PM.
- Regular mail services will resume January 4, 2021.
- Call Postal Services at 270-745-3389 with questions.
- Shipping & Receiving
- Open for package pickup at Service Supply Building from 8AM - 12PM on December 21, 22, 29 & 30.
- Information Technology Services
- There will be a Mediasite upgrade on December 16. A communication will be sent directly to Mediasite users about the upgrade, or you can contact the Service Desk with questions.
- Due to core network equipment upgrades, there will be some minimal off-hours network outages in buildings across campus. ITS will publish the schedule on the Systems Status site.
- Also due to upgrades, the Cisco wireless system will experience minimal, rolling outages. ITS will publish these on the Systems Status site.
- During the Holiday Break, calls to the ITS Service Desk (270-745-7000) will go directly to voicemail, which ITS employees are regularly monitoring. Representatives will return these calls within 24 hours.
- WKU Police Department
- Non-emergencies call 270-745-2548
- Emergencies call 911
I have one announcement to make regarding a change in leadership for Information Technology Services. Assistant Vice President Greg Hackbarth and his family are moving to Virginia to be closer to his extended family. Greg has accepted a leadership position within Information Technology at James Madison University. While I am very excited and happy for Greg and his family, I am very sad to see him leave the SOF division. I want to thank Greg for all he has done for WKU over his many years of service, and I especially want to thank him for his thoughtful leadership during my time at WKU. Jeppie Sumpter has agreed to serve as interim Assistant Vice President of ITS. I thank Jeppie for his willingness to serve in this capacity. Please join me in thanking Greg for all he has contributed to WKU and in wishing him all the best for both his personal and professional future.
As we enter this festive time typically filled with gatherings of family and friends, we must remain diligent about our personal health and the health of those around us. Please continue to wear your masks, maintain safe distancing and practice good hygiene. You can continue to refer to Healthy on the Hill for current information.
Happy Holidays as we look forward to a bright and healthy New Year!
Susan Ingram Howarth
Executive Vice President
Strategy, Operations and Finance