Message from VP Kuster to Students - Housing and Dining Credits for the Spring 2020 Semester
- Brian Kuster
- Wednesday, May 13th, 2020
Due to the forced closure of face-to-face interactions on campus during the spring 2020 semester, students who had paid for housing and/or dining for the semester will receive a credit to their accounts. The University has worked diligently to review and follow the guidelines of the CARES act and other university contracts. We are pleased to announce we are able to apply credits for all students who paid for housing and/or dining during the spring 2020 semester. Credits will begin to be applied in late May.
Students who received a scholarship for their housing and/or dining for the semester will have these credits returned to the entity that awarded their scholarship. Below are more specifics related to each of the credits.
Students who moved out of WKU housing by March 31 will receive a prorated credit to their account. For those living in the residence halls, the actual credit amounts will be determined by the individual student’s room type. Students at the WKU Kentucky Street Apartments who moved out by March 31, 2020, will receive a credit in the amount of two months’ rent for the period of April 1 through May 31, 2020. Additionally, they will not be assessed June rent. This credit will first be applied to any outstanding housing balance that a student may have and then will be applied to any other university charges on a student’s account. A refund will then be provided for any residual amount.
Students who paid for meal plans will receive a prorated credit to their spring account according to the following groups:
GRADUATING STUDENTS who purchased:
- FLEX DOLLARS AND MEAL PLAN DOLLARS: Graduating students will receive a refund for their unused flex dollars and meal plan dollars from the spring 2020 semester. These credits will be applied in mid-June after graduation status is verified.
- ALL OTHER MEAL PLANS: Graduating students will receive a prorated refund for their meal plan to their student account beginning in late-May.
RETURNING STUDENTS who purchased:
- FLEX DOLLARS: All flex dollars will roll to the fall 2020 semester.
- ALL OTHER MEAL PLANS: Will receive a prorated amount for their meal plan (meal swipes) beginning in late May, with Meal Plan Dollars rolling to the fall 2020 Semester. Rollover Meal Plan Dollars must be spent in the fall 2020 semester.
NON-RETURNING STUDENTS who purchased:
- MEAL PLANS: Students not returning to WKU in the fall 2020 semester will receive a prorated amount for their meal plan swipes beginning in late May.
- FLEX DOLLARS AND MEAL PLAN DOLLARS: Students NOT returning to WKU for the fall 2020 semester must request a refund for their unused flex dollars and meal plan dollars by completing the form provided below. This credit will not be refunded until after the last day to add/drop classes in the fall 2020 semester.
All requests for refunds for non-returning students must be made by October 1, 2020. To request a refund, visit: https://wku.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eW0xUlcL1TQT8m9
For more detailed information and frequently asked questions, please visit https://www.wku.edu/housing/covid19/credits.php.
Brian W. Kuster
Vice-President for Enrollment and Student Experience