Seven Hygiene Tips to Implement in Child Care Facilities
- T/TAS at WKU
- Monday, March 16th, 2020
An article in an ongoing series for Head Start/Early Head Start programs to plan and prepare for inpacts from coronavirus.
As stated in the original article: To prepare for possible community transmission of COVID-19, the most important thing for Head Start programs to do now is plan and prepare. As the global outbreak evolves, programs should prepare for the possibility of community-level outbreaks. Head Start wants to be ready if COVID-19 does appear in our communities.
Today's feature stresses the importance of basic facility hygiene and tips for helping carry out best practices in your Head Start facility.
- Place hand sanitizer at parent sign in/out station. Encourage the parents to use it when entering your facility.
- Schedule extra sanitizing of door handles, faucets, etc. throughout the day. Use bleach solution with a 2 minute dry time.
- Did you know that scented bleaches and non-splash bleaches do NOT contain the same amount of disinfection product as plain bleach? Only plain fragrance-free bleach should be used for sanitizing sprays.
- Teach children to wash their hands correctly. Fun tools to use can include stamping their hands and seeing if they can scrub the stamp away or draw a line at wrist with a washable marker and have them scrub to wrist area and scrub the line away.
- Use anitbacterial soap and warm water to wash hands. Do not place hands under the running water until after you have rubbed in the soap for 20 seconds first.
- Place a sticker in the bend of the child's elbow to encourage coughing/sneezing in elbow in they are unable to use a tissue.
- Refrain from using water fountains.
These ideas came from our local health department who also shared this site for more resources: https://info.childcareaware.org/blog/coronavirus-updates-and-resources-for-child-care-providers-and-ccrrs
If you have questions, feel free to contact us: email@example.com or 800.882.7482
J. Christopher Watkins, Executive Director
Training & Technical Assistance Services (T/TAS)
Western Kentucky University