WKU Regional Campuses to Offer Free Leadership Workshops
- Susan Esters
- Monday, February 3rd, 2020
WKU students in Elizabethtown-Fort Knox, Glasgow and Owensboro can enroll in a series of free workshops designed to encourage career advancement and build leadership skills.
The Dynamic Leadership Institute (DLI) is a three-phase series of seminars that help students learn more about their leadership style, establish strategies for leading others and put their leadership skills into practice.
- Phase 1 is designed to enhance basic leadership skills and abilities through seminars that address problem solving, diversity, management and personality traits.
- Phase 2 focuses on self-exploration through exercises that identify strengths and areas for improvement.
- Phase 3 challenges students to put their leadership skills in action through
“Employers are looking for people who have many of the skills the DLI teaches,” said Gail Ledford who teaches the Interdisciplinary Studies Capstone Course IDST495 at WKU in Elizabethtown.
Ledford said that her students benefit greatly from the DLI.
“These seminars help students do more than just identify their leadership skills. They explore how they work with others, deal with conflict, build consensus and more,” she stated.
Students then put what they’ve learned about themselves and others into practice, which Ledford said is probably the most important exercise of all.
“It’s important to identify your leadership strengths and weaknesses and learn how to enhance or improve them,” she added. “The most effective, memorable lessons happen when you actually apply what you’ve learned.”
Students can enroll in any number of phases and in any order based on their interests and schedule. Workshops take place at each campus location and are taught in-person by professional WKU staff.
Elizabethtown – Room EC3109
610 College Street Road
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
Glasgow – Room 162A
500 Hilltopper Way
Glasgow, KY 42141
Owensboro – Room 114
4821 New Hartford Road
Owensboro, KY 42303
* Phase 1 takes place February 27
* Phase 2 takes place March 26
* Phase 3 takes place April 16
All times are 6-8:45 p.m. (eastern); 5-7:45 p.m. (central)
Students must register in advance online: wku.edu/join/dli