Today@WKU: January 24, 2019
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Thursday, January 24th, 2019
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for January 24, 2019.
- WKU Libraries Blog: Serendipity: It’s funny how items from collections, coming from different donors and eras, occasionally overlap. Last year, Doug Brockhouse and his wife of St. Louis donated a set of papers related to the Weir family of Muhlenberg County. The collection revolves around a prosperous agricultural and merchant family that exerted quite an influence in 19th and early 20th century Greenville.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Women’s basketball: Lady Toppers Back in Action Inside Diddle This Evening Against Southern Miss: With two double-digit wins on its first road trip of C-USA play, WKU will return to the friendly confines of E.A. Diddle Arena at 6 this evening as the Lady Toppers play host to Southern Miss. More: Event parking; Elgedawy Selected to NCAA Weekly Starting Five
- Men’s basketball: Tops Head Back on Road Tonight at Southern Miss: WKU Hilltopper Basketball continues a stretch of five games in 10 days with a road trip to Southern Miss at 7 tonight in Hattiesburg, Miss. The game will stream on Stadium and air in Bowling Green on WKU PBS.
- Baseball: Countdown to First Pitch - 100 Days of Hilltopper History: As WKU prepares for the 100th Season of Hilltopper Baseball, WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Baseball, leading up to First Pitch at Nick Denes Field on February 15. More: Fan voting open for All Century Team.
- Couple transforms rundown motel into luxury inn and café: There's new life in an old motel just outside Beattyville. The former eyesore in now eye-catching. You can get fresh-roasted coffee here, delicious danishes and chocolates made from the bean. In late 2017, WKU graduate Dustin Cornett opened The Chocolat Inn and Cafe, providing luxury accommodations in an area known for campgrounds and cabins.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: Share your #RedTowelsAtWork photos; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11); Highbrow; plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Call for Artists: US Bank Celebration of the Arts deadline for entries is Feb. 8. Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
Thursday, January 24
- 3 p.m.: WKU Honors Band Clinic Registration. Music Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 5 p.m.: Live United Awards & Annual Meeting. Knicely Conference Center. Contact Mandy Hicks, (270) 843-3205.
- 6 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Southern Miss. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 7 p.m.: WKU Honors Band Clinic Welcome & Introduction Meeting. Van Meter Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Friday, January 25
- 8:30 a.m.: WKU Honors Band Clinic. Music Hall and other locations. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 8 p.m.: PRISM Concert. Van Meter Hall. Admission is $15; $8 for WKU students. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Saturday, January 26
- 10 a.m.: Mammoth Strength Challenge III. L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center. Contact Ag Expo Center, (270) 745-3976.
- 11 a.m.: WKU Honors Band Clinic Concert. Van Meter Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 2 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Louisiana Tech. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 8 p.m.: Kick the Clock Dance Festival. Gordon Wilson Hall Lab Theatre. Free admission. Contact Theatre and Dance, (270) 745-5845.
Sunday, January 27
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 3 p.m.: Guest Performance: PAN de Monium4, flute quartet. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.