Today@WKU: January 23, 2019
- WKU News
- Wednesday, January 23rd, 2019
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for January 23, 2019.
- Advancing WKU: In a message to the campus community, President Timothy C. Caboni shared some preliminary data that provide a glimpse into the improvements we are creating with our student persistence interventions. Our first to second semester persistence rate for the fall 2018 first-time, first-year student cohort is up 4.0% to 86.5% from 82.5% when compared with 2017. We made even larger gains in our FTFY class among low income (up 5.0%, from 77.7% to 82.7%), first generation (up 5.2%, from 75.5% to 80.7%) and URM (up 7.8%, from 71.6% to 79.4%) student populations. This builds on the first to second year persistence gains we realized this past fall.
- What’s Happening at WKU: Check out a list of events through Feb. 9.
- Recent WKU Folk Studies Alums Publish Article in History News: Congratulations to WKU Folk Studies '18 grads Anne Rappaport and Susanna Pyatt on the publication of their article "Traditional Culture, Collaboration, and Ethnography: Folkloristic Perspectives and Public History" in History News, published by the AASLH (American Association for State and Local History). More: Review of Stonelight, Poetry Collection by WKU Folk Studies Alum
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Women’s basketball: Lady Toppers Offer 5 for $5 Ticket Flash Sale: The WKU Ticket Office is offering a 5 for $5 flash sale for Lady Topper Basketball's final five home games this season. Through Saturday, fans can purchase the ticket package for $5 and will receive a ticket to each of the five remaining games inside E.A. Diddle Arena. The "Final 5" promotional offer will include tickets for home games against Southern Miss (if purchased before Thursday), Louisiana Tech, Rice, North Texas and archrival Middle Tennessee.
- Baseball: Countdown to First Pitch - 100 Days of Hilltopper History: As WKU prepares for the 100th Season of Hilltopper Baseball, WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Baseball, leading up to First Pitch at Nick Denes Field on February 15. More: Fan voting open for All Century Team.
- Local businesses impacted by students returning: WKU students are returning for another semester on the hill, and local businesses are already ringing up more sales as the students make their way back.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: Share your #RedTowelsAtWork photos; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing email@example.com or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11); Highbrow; plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Call for Artists: US Bank Celebration of the Arts deadline for entries is Feb. 8. Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
Thursday, January 24
- 3 p.m.: WKU Honors Band Clinic Registration. Music Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 5 p.m.: Live United Awards & Annual Meeting. Knicely Conference Center. Contact Mandy Hicks, (270) 843-3205.
- 6 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Southern Miss. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 7 p.m.: WKU Honors Band Clinic Welcome & Introduction Meeting. Van Meter Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Friday, January 25
- 8:30 a.m.: WKU Honors Band Clinic. Music Hall and other locations. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 8 p.m.: PRISM Concert. Van Meter Hall. Admission is $15; $8 for WKU students. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Saturday, January 26
- 10 a.m.: Mammoth Strength Challenge III. L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center. Contact Ag Expo Center, (270) 745-3976.
- 11 a.m.: WKU Honors Band Clinic Concert. Van Meter Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 2 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Louisiana Tech. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 8 p.m.: Kick the Clock Dance Festival. Gordon Wilson Hall Lab Theatre. Free admission. Contact Theatre and Dance, (270) 745-5845.
Sunday, January 27
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 3 p.m.: Guest Performance: PAN de Monium4, flute quartet. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.