Today@WKU: January 16, 2019
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Wednesday, January 16th, 2019
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for January 16, 2019.
- Lone Star Rodeo returns to WKU's Ag Expo Center Feb. 8-10: The Lone Star Rodeo Company will make its 2019 visit to WKU’s L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center for four shows at 8 p.m. Feb. 8; 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Feb. 9; and 2 p.m. Feb. 10.
- WKU PBS celebrating 30 years: Thirty years ago Monday, WKYU-TV signed on the air. To mark the 30th anniversary, WKU PBS is kicking off a yearlong celebration highlighting the many ways the station educates, inspires and enriches the lives of those in our community.
- What’s Happening at WKU: Check out a list of events through Feb. 2.
- Winter Term Intersession Parking and Transit Changes: Here’s a reminder from WKU Parking & Transportation that intersession services are in effect during the Winter Term through Jan. 19. More: Winter Term parking map
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Track & Field: Conference USA Names Oliver Alexandre Male Track Athlete of the Week: WKU Track and Field's Oliver Alexandre has earned Conference USA's first Male Track Athlete of the Week accolade of the 2019 campaign the league office announced Tuesday. The Hilltopper senior earned an individual title in the men's 600-meter race while helping the Red and White to another crown in the 4x400-meter relay over the weekend.
- Baseball: Countdown to First Pitch - 100 Days of Hilltopper History: As WKU prepares for the 100th Season of Hilltopper Baseball, WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Baseball, leading up to First Pitch at Nick Denes Field on February 15. More: Fan voting open for All Century Team.
- Donor Match Found For Ex-WKU Volleyball Star: WKU Volleyball confirmed on its social media Twitter page that a bone marrow donor match former Lady Toppers' All-American Alyssa Cavanaugh. More: Alyssa Cavanaugh announces she’s found a bone marrow donor; additional details from WKU Volleyball
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: Share your #RedTowelsAtWork photos; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11); Highbrow; plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Call for Artists: US Bank Celebration of the Arts deadline for entries is Feb. 8. Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
Thursday, January 17
- 8 a.m.: Student Success Summit. Downing Student Union, third floor. Contact Christopher Jensen, (270) 745-5065.
- 3:45 p.m.: University Senate Meeting. Faculty House. Contact Academic Affairs, (270) 745-2296.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 7 p.m.: Hilltopper Basketball vs. FIU. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
Friday, January 18
- Final Exams for Winter Term Classes.
- 7 a.m.: Topper Orientation Program for Spring Semester. Downing Student Union. Contact TOP, (270) 745-4242.
- 8 a.m.: Residence Halls Reopen for Spring Semester. Contact Housing, (270) 745-4359.
Saturday, January 19
- 2 p.m.: Hilltopper Basketball vs. Florida Atlantic. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
Sunday, January 20
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
Monday, January 21
- Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday. University closed.
- 8 p.m.: Hilltopper Basketball vs. Marshall. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.