Today@WKU: December 13, 2018
- WKU News
- Thursday, December 13th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for December 13, 2018.
Eight new recipients for the Cumberland Trace Incentive-Matt Rzepka Memorial Scholarship Fund were announced on Dec. 10. Read more
- Hannah Nafziger and Dominic Castlen are first recipients of the Connie Foster Student Scholarship Endowment: Two WKU students have been awarded the inaugural Connie Foster Student Scholarship from the newly created endowment. Hannah Nafziger of Edwardsville, Illinois, and Dominic Castlen of Lexington are the recipients for the 2018-19 academic year.
- Cumberland Trace Incentive-Matt Rzepka Memorial Scholarship Fund announces new recipients: Eight new recipients for the Cumberland Trace Incentive-Matt Rzepka Memorial Scholarship Fund were announced on Dec. 10 during the morning assembly at the school. This marks the 15th year that these scholarships have been awarded to fifth and sixth graders attending Cumberland Trace Elementary in Bowling Green. This year’s recipients are Adysen Adams, Ellie Morgan, Grant Dunn, Julia Byers, Turner Allen, Annabelle Long, Amanda Hogan and Savannah Vaughn.
- WKU grad shares story of changing plans, but not changing vision: Imagine at the age of 23 already being established in your career only to experience something that causes a change in plans and change in career trajectory. In July 2017, Bryan Blackwell changed plans, leaving Atlanta to return to Bowling Green to earn a Master of Arts in Education focusing on Counseling and Student Affairs in Higher Education along with a Career Services certificate.
- Winter Break Parking Lot Closures and Energy Conservation: In order to maximize energy savings initiatives, lights will be turned off in low use parking lots during Winter Break (Dec. 16-Jan. 1). “LOT CLOSES AT DUSK” signs will be placed at the entrance of these lots. More: Winter break parking and transit
- Finals Week parking and transit: Check out an update from Parking & Transportation about parking and transit changes for Finals Week. More: Final exam schedule; bus congestion on College Heights Boulevard
- Board of Regents to hold quarterly meeting Friday: The WKU Board of Regents will hold its fourth quarterly meeting at noon Friday (Dec. 14) in the Martin Regents Room of Jody Richards Hall.
- WKU to recognize fall graduates Saturday: WKU’s five academic colleges will recognize more than 1,400 fall graduates in ceremonies on Saturday (Dec. 15). More: Parking information
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Volleyball: Anderson Closes Career as AVCA Honorable Mention All-American: WKU Volleyball senior middle hitter Rachel Anderson has been named an AVCA Honorable Mention All-American for the second-consecutive season, the American Volleyball Coaches Association announced Wednesday. Just over a week ago, the Sturgis, Mich., native was named one of just 18 current student-athletes across the country to earn at least three All-Region nods across their career. In addition to her pair of AVCA nods, Anderson has also been honored as an All-American by PrepVolleyball.com during her career.
- Football: Julien Lewis Named a Conference USA Fall Spirit of Service Award Winner: WKU Football graduate Julien Lewis was named a Conference USA Fall Spirit of Service Award winner, it was announced by the league office Wednesday afternoon. The Madison, Ala., native is 1-of-13 C-USA student-athletes across the sports of cross country, soccer, volleyball and football to be honored.
- Baseball: Countdown to First Pitch - 100 Days of Hilltopper History: As WKU prepares for the 100th Season of Hilltopper Baseball, WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Baseball, leading up to First Pitch at Nick Denes Field on February 15, 2019.
- WKU Habitat for Humanity prepares for winter break project in Oklahoma: The WKU affiliate of Habitat for Humanity will be heading to Oklahoma City during the university's winter break.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- 2018 Year-End Giving Information: As we celebrate the holiday season, please consider adding a gift to WKU as part of your annual traditions. Your support will make a difference in the lives of our students and in the life of our University. With only a few days remaining on the 2018 calendar, this is your last chance to add to your charitable giving for the year. If you have questions about 2018 year-end giving, visit alumni.wku.edu/yearend.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: John Asher Scholarship Fund; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11, 2019); Highbrow; Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 15); The Essential Tree (through Dec. 15); Process Oriented Works (through Dec. 14); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- Final Exams. Dec. 10-14.
Thursday, December 13
- Final Exams.
- 3:45 p.m.: University Senate Meeting. Faculty House. Contact Academic Affairs, (270) 745-2296.
- 5 p.m.: WKU Glasgow Graduand Ceremony. WKU Glasgow, 500 Hilltopper Way, Glasgow. Contact Stephanie Prichard, (270) 861-6920.
Friday, December 14
- Final Exams End.
- Noon: Board of Regents Quarterly Meeting. Martin Regents Room, Jody Richards Hall. Contact Bob Skipper, (270) 745-4295.
- 3 p.m.: WKU ROTC Commissioning. Diddle Arena. Contact ROTC, (270) 745-4293.
- 6 p.m.: ISEC Graduation Celebration. Downing Student Union Auditorium. Contact Cynthia & George Nichols III Intercultural Student Engagement Center, (270) 745-5066.
Saturday, December 15
- 8 a.m.: Gordon Ford College of Business Recognition Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- 10:30 a.m.: Potter College of Arts & Letters Recognition Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- 1 p.m.: Ogden College of Science and Engineering Recognition Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- 3:30 p.m.: College of Education and Behavioral Sciences Recognition Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- 6 p.m.: College of Health and Human Services Recognition Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- 6 p.m.: Residence Halls Close for Winter Break. Note: Barnes-Campbell, Northeast and Hilltopper halls remain open. All halls reopen at 8 a.m. Jan. 18. Contact Housing, (270) 745-4359.
Sunday, December 16
- 2 p.m.: Hilltopper Basketball vs. Troy. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Celebrations for a Long Winter’s Night. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 5 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Ball State. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
Monday, December 17
- WKU Winter Break. University closed. Offices reopen and Winter Term 2019 begins Jan. 2.